When sugar babies attack!!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Bebe Kaye, Jun 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bebe Kaye

Bebe Kaye Member

drinking11 Thought it was time to turn the computer on after a very interesting week or so...funny enough my Miley was in the leading roll of arch villain! bcatrun_gif

Just over a week ago, I was awake watching Miley after his sugar took a steep dive, he was curled up on my lap as loving and as purry as ever, it was then that his head twitching started. I called to my DH that Miley was starting to have a hypo and he ran in and got the honey for me, I started applying it as I normally would, when he went ballistic. He went for my face and OUCH did it hurt, I thought he had only got me a few good hooks. My daughter grabbed Milo and wrapped him in a towel to complete treating his hypo and my DH asked me to remove my hands, my face was covered in blood. It was 1am at this time and after having a good look he quickly called the ambulance. I had a lovely trip to hospital (thank goodness for cute ambos ;-) ) and after they cleaned things up, I got four stitched between my nose and lip where he teared straight through and down, and then there were quite a few puncture wounds from teeth and claws over my face, chest and arms that they fixed.

I was more worried about how Miley was! He was fine and his levels went back up. Anyway, I got set home with a tetanus booster, bacterial antibiotic and broad spectrum one and told to watch out for any other signs of infection. Two days later I had a high temp and was having trouble breathing...well I was breathing fine but it hurt and it didn't actually feel like any air was going in...so it was back to hospital where I found out I had pneumonia...great! The docs weren't sure if it was from infection from the kitty taps, or lingering from the nasty head cold I was starting to get over (they put it down as a combo affect). Anyway, I'm home now, I little worse for wear and warning people who have kitties who suffer from hypos to be a little more careful than I was!

Milo is the most sweetest and placid cat, he lets my grandson climb over him and pull his tail with no worries, but during the hypo he went berserk. Please others out there, take care when handling your hypo sugar babies! I definitely learnt my lesson :lol: !

Miley is back to normal, he had another hypo last night (yes I wrapped him up first before helping him :lol: ), he's still having them when he's between 4-5, so it's soooo hard to tell when or if he's going to have one...plus they all but once have happened during the night which really scares me...what if we're asleep!?! I will have to go back over and fill out his neglected SS and catch up there. He's had pretty stable higher numbers for him, though the family have only done minimum tests while I was at the resort (hospital :roll:)

Hope everyone is safe and well and the sugar kitties are purry and wonderful!

Bebe and Milo

2. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Bebe,

That was horrifying to read!

You might want to read this post from the FDMB Community forum, by Gail and Houdini. Her cat scratched her too. http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=97234 Here is just a tiny piece of the writeup
    The only upside I see to this story was they discovered the pneumonia. Now they can treat it and you need to take much better care of yourself. Pneumonia can knock you for a loop for a long time. Please, we've never met in person but we are your friends and care about you. Please be well.

Try to feed a bit more at mid-cycle to keep those BG's up in Milo. Only way I can think of to reduce the hypo possibility. Unless MIlo is due for a dose reduction? Need to look at the SS and see.

ETA: Because of those hypos and you are following SLGS protocol, Milo gets a reduction for going below 5 (90). I know you have not had time to update your SS because you were in hospital but I think you may need to do a reduction. Down to 0.5U. You can check your numbers and if he fell below 5 (90) at any time since 06/06/13, then take the reduction.

p.s. And I hope Milo had his claws trimmed after the villain role incident.

3. Bebe Kaye

Bebe Kaye Member

That's scary! I always knew cat scratches could get infected due to bacteria under their claws and in their saliva, but it's one of those 'it will never happen to me' things...but then I never thought my boy could do so much damage to my face either :lol: .

It certainly shocked the daylights out of me and I am just so grateful it was me holding him and not one of the DD's. We're joking that he's left me something to remind me of him after he goes because i'm going to have one heck of a scar between my nose and lip! I have to keep a close eye on it they're worried that the infection will go into the sinus cavity and apparently from there it gets pretty bad...that'll teach me for being too close. The worst part of a injury is eating, drinking, talking and OMG laughing! He certainly has some sharp nails, they sliced through to my gums like butter (sorry that sounds so icky!). But on the positive, this may work out well and maybe i'll lose a few kilo's from not being able to eat :D.

I have crappy lungs at the best of times, colds always turn into chest infections and so the pneumonia was bound to happen. I've had it once before and it took months to get over so I know what i'm in for, luckily I have a nurse living next door who can come over and check up on me...pity she wasn't home on the night Miley decided to 'make his mark' :roll: . But it's always the way.

I filled out Miley's SS, had to go back over it as I had his dose down wrong. It's so hard to say whether I should reduce his dose to 0.5, as you may be able to see, his numbers are up and it's a weird thing that he drops down every now and then. His appetite is starting to drop off, i've had to start pureeing his food with a fair amount of water...i've been expecting this with his CKD. I have food out for him 24/7 now, I put fresh out every 3-4 hours as he's a fussy thing, and have had to resort to gravy tins as they're the only ones he will eat right now. I haven't been able to get him back to the vet, at the moment it's 'me' time, and unfortunately for him, my medical expenses have had to come before him (my choice would be his but those darn family members keep stepping in :-x ).

I haven't done his claws yet, but definitely think he needs a good manicure and as paypack maybe some bright pink nail polish for my furry man :lol:.

Hope you're safe and well and everything is wonderful in your part of the world.

Bebe and Milo

4. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Bebe, When you get a chance, please tell me more about your current feeding strategy. When does Milo get fed in relation to the shots. Does he free feed or meal feed? Do you give him a bit of food around nadir?

Things like that.

I'm thinking we may want to use the front loading food strategy with Milo.

5. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Wendy&Tiggy(GA) Well-Known Member

I agree with Deb I really think a dose reduction is in order.

Wendy

6. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Wow - close call.

I've been having a problem with low platelets, and one of mine launched off a leg ... with no jeans to protect the skin. I was gouged badly enough it kept bleeding. I went up and soaked in a tub to let the blood and water flush out the wound and to keep the scab from being enormous. I'll still have the scar, but at least it didn' get infected.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.