When they call it "crack" they are right!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by TheresaJ860, Sep 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheresaJ860

TheresaJ860 Member

Just an update on my darling fur addict Christian!

He started having extremely high numbers, upper 400's, which really shocked me, what could be wrong?

Well, you know how we keep a stash of HC food for emergencies? He FOUND IT!

My DH thought he had let him out, but when I went to call him in, he was in the mud room, I thought my hubby had scooted him in, and mistakenly left him in between the 2 doors. WRONG! But I didn't know that at the time. I scooted him in to be tested, and almost freaked out, holy smokes! What have you been doing?????

Later he was asking to go out, and I let him out, but noooo, instead he went straight into the mud room, and acted like a drug addict, immediately going for the bag he had worked long and hard on to gnaw threw of HC dry food! He was crazy!

I took the bag away from him and tossed it. Told him, they really mean it when they say "crack!"

That was yesterday, and today his numbers are just starting to go back into the high 200's, and he is one tee'd off cat, I'll tell ya!

He wants his crack, and that's all there is to it! :roll:

He has been ours for almost 6 years, and in all those years, I have never seen him act like he is now, LOL, he won't shut up! I want my crack, and I want it now!!!!!!

Hopefully, now that it isn't in the house, he will recover, and we can begin to go back to heading in the right direction.

I just can't begin to share how badly he is "jonesing" for a fix. (Evidence should be that I am up way to late, because he won't shut up!!!)

Hoping to check in later in the morning, after getting some sleep, but at this point, I just don't know!

Love this community, you're all awesome, and I just had to share, hope it is in the right place.

(He is at my elbow screaming, I want my crack!!!!)

Any idea how much this set him back? I have no idea how much he got into the day before and yesterday!

A very tired Theresa, and her screaming withdrawal cat Christian!

2. Just-As-Appy

Just-As-Appy Member

Oh my goodness - made me laugh! He's choked at being caught when he thought that he was so clever, and he's not going to let you forget it easily.

With the high bg, he will be a bit hungry. You can give him a tsp of wet every few hours until the dry clears his system. If you mix in some water, esp warm, it will make him feel more full.

The dry can take up to 48 hours to clear his system. It takes a few hours to begin to raise the bg, and a while to leave. This is why it is a last resort in treating a hypo - takes too long to get into the system and then keeps the bg high for a day or two after.

3. Maresydotes

Maresydotes Member

Teresa,
    I know just how it is. My cats, Missy and Phoenix (brother and sister) are the same way with the Halo Live-a-Littles!! I can barely open the refrigerator door. I give Missy bits of it while I am warming her ear prior to injecting her. If they hear me use the microwave (to warm her sock-o-rice) both of them are RIGHT at my feet, meowing like crazy. And Missy will even 'remind' me if I am a little late getting to her testing.....meowing pitifully until I realize what's up. They are WAY too smart! Glad mine aren't the only pains in the butt when it comes to treat time.

4. ohbell

ohbell Well-Known Member

LOL!
    After Sugar Bean got into the dry "Crack", it was hard to get her to eat the wet. I put some fora flora on the wet for the next couple of feedings and she finally forgot about the dry!
    Good luck!

5. Barb & Checkers (GA)

Barb & Checkers (GA) Well-Known Member

Sorry Theresa, but that made me laugh. I have 2, that are the same way. I've tried many times to give just wet food to my civvies, but one gets diarrhea, and the other, screams at me for kibble, until I give in.
    Unfortunately, my remission kitty, Checkers, is also a krack addict. He will actually hide in the room, when I feed the civvies.
    Couple days ago, I put down kibble for civvie, closed the door behind me; when I went back to let him out, Checkers came strolling out. :shock: :eek:
    It took 36 hours, for that crap to clear his system, and get his normally low numbers again.
    Yes, it's hard to resist the screaming, "gimme my krack!"
    Good luck with Christian's addiction. :roll:

6. TheresaJ860

TheresaJ860 Member

:lol: Thanks everyone, :lol:

It was meant to make you laugh, and find out if others have experienced anything similar. Thank you for your responses! You're right Just as Appy, he thought he was soooo clever! He's not going to let me forget easily. I laughed so hard as he just kept begging to go in there, a little satisfaction on my part when he would keep looking, hunting, I could hear his little voice, "where did it go, find it, find it!" angry(2)_cat Yep, his appetite was ravenous again, I did keep watering his food, giving him small amounts frequently. Great advice, TY!

Barb, Checkers sounds like he and Christian would be very dangerous together, ;-) they'd come up with covert operations to get the krack, lol. Some times humor is the best way to get through the catitude! Maresydotes, Missy and Phoenix sound like they have mastered the talking till we get what we want art. Cats really are the most amazing animals! (*whispered so the drooler doesn't hear me, :lol: )

Thank you ohbell! Fora Flora! Yes, yes I need that, where can I buy that? I woke up this morning to find he had cleared off my desk, tossing TV remotes hither and dither, amazing how tee'd off he is. cat(2)_steam He didn't give me this much hassle coming off of it. So glad to hear other sugar cats have acted the same. The addict comparison is great, it's worse since he was off the stuff, that tantalizing slip increases their addiction.

Again, thanks everyone, hope all is going well for you as we roll into this Labor Day weekend! :RAHCAT

7. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Having a big 'crack' war with the main house cats here too. The cats have a bathroom all to themselves away from the rest of the house - lb's in stoppered tub, crack up on counter. Since I'm only putting down enough kibble for ShuShu, he's taken to guarding the room...including the lb's. I've had to move the hard food out into the kitchen where we can watch it. Shu hates to eat when others are around so HE's mad about it and telling me...KT can get to it when he sneaks up there...and HE's mad 'cos I won't let him eat it and huffs, hollers and gives me the evil eye. ....and Nuisance, who wakes up in a new world every 10 minutes, is just totally confused. HE hollers 'Mama Mama' when he's 'lost' meaning I have to come find him and let him ride over my shoulder for a few minutes while the world becomes familiar again.

Oh but the joys they give us.....

8. Barb & Checkers (GA)

Barb & Checkers (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm glad to know I'm not alone in this 'krack' situation.
    Lyresa, I've 'known' you for soooooo long, and never knew your name, so you'll still be Squeaky to me. :smile:
    You've probably told it before, but I never heard it; do you feel like telling why Nuisance gets confused?

Barb

9. Amanda

Amanda Member

We feed the civvies in the bathroom to keep Kazi away as they eat a mix of dry and wet. Not long ago the little weasel slipped in and HID BEHIND THE DOOR! She almost got away with it too - just happened to see her out of the corner of my eye as I was shutting it. Ridiculous! :roll: :lol:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.