? When to decrease dose?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by ZulusMom (GA), Oct 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZulusMom (GA)

ZulusMom (GA) Member

I really hope I'm not jinxing anything by asking this... but Zulu's pre-shot numbers that last five cycles have been dropping progressively lower and I'm starting to wonder about when to reduce the dose. I know dose changes are usually based on the nadir, and DH should be around tomorrow to get a nadir reading. Is this guidance correct for ProZinc?:
    Nadir > 150 - increase the dose
    Nadir between 90 and 149 - hold the does
    Nadir < 90 - decrease the dose
    Also, how much do people typically reduce by? We had been increasing by 0.2, so decrease by 0.2 and see how it goes?

2. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Getting some nice yellows there! As for decreasing the dose, I wouldn't do it unless you see a lime green number mid cycle...50 or below. That means you've hit danger zone and the cat is dropping too low. If you're getting yellows preshot and dark greens nadir, that's about as perfect as you can ask. It's kind of scary when you start seeing those lower numbers because you're used to higher numbers and worry about her going too low! But, I would say stay the course unless you get a too low number...then maybe come on and ask for advice so we can tailor it to specifically what happened. :)

Decreasing usually depends on what happened, but usually about 0.2 is probably good.

FurBabiesMama likes this.
  3. ZulusMom (GA)

ZulusMom (GA) Member

Thanks, Rachel! We had been hanging out in the pinks and reds for a few weeks even after switching to low carb, so the sudden string of yellows was unexpected. Not sure if the numbers are just now starting to match up with the diet change, or if the supplements are helping, or some combination of things, but I'll take it! Really hoping for a nice nadir number to go with it!

4. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Are you still using the Alphatrak? If so, then Rachel is right about reducing at a lime green, but just to clarify, that would be a 68 on the AT2. :)

Rachel likes this.
  5. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Whoops! Djamila is right! I forgot to check on the meter type...thanks for clarifying Djamila!

6. ZulusMom (GA)

ZulusMom (GA) Member

Yes, still Alphtrak - thanks! Zulu hit his first blue pre-shot this morning and I kind of freaked out. Didn't have time to stall.. need to start getting up earlier with these kinds of numbers. I gave him a token dose. DH will still check the nadir to see where we stand. Zulu is coming down so quick!!! Hope I didn't just botch things with the mini dose.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.