When to do gc testing

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (The Main Forum)' started by Jazmom, Oct 1, 2017.

1. Jazmom

Jazmom New Member

Sep 19, 2017
    What is the best time to glucose test after giving my cat his Vetsulin shot? I've been doing 6 hours. Thanks!
  2. Amanda and a Loudogg

Amanda and a Loudogg Member

Jun 16, 2017
    Vetsulin is an insulin that usually peaks (nadirs) around 4-6 hours after giving the dose. At the very minimum, I try to at least get a test in once during that timeframe. The problem with Vetsulin and with cats in general is every day can be different. One day your kitty can have his nadir at +4, and then the next day it's +6. For this reason, I do try to test at different times of the day to see how my buddy is doing. I will usually try a +2 or +3 (to see if it will be an active cycle or not), and then get a +4 or +5. I'll grab a +7 or +8 on occasion as well.

Really at the end of the day, just try at the very least to get a test in during the +4 to +6 timeframe when you can, but go ahead and move things around every so often to allow you to get to know how your kitty is reacting to the insulin. :cat:
    beene5052 likes this.
  3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2016
    I test at 4-5 when I can because my cat tends to hit her lowest at 5