When to do gc testing

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jazmom, Oct 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jazmom

Jazmom New Member

What is the best time to glucose test after giving my cat his Vetsulin shot? I've been doing 6 hours. Thanks!

2. Amanda and a Loudogg

Amanda and a Loudogg Well-Known Member

Vetsulin is an insulin that usually peaks (nadirs) around 4-6 hours after giving the dose. At the very minimum, I try to at least get a test in once during that timeframe. The problem with Vetsulin and with cats in general is every day can be different. One day your kitty can have his nadir at +4, and then the next day it's +6. For this reason, I do try to test at different times of the day to see how my buddy is doing. I will usually try a +2 or +3 (to see if it will be an active cycle or not), and then get a +4 or +5. I'll grab a +7 or +8 on occasion as well.

Really at the end of the day, just try at the very least to get a test in during the +4 to +6 timeframe when you can, but go ahead and move things around every so often to allow you to get to know how your kitty is reacting to the insulin. :cat:

beene5052 likes this.
  3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I test at 4-5 when I can because my cat tends to hit her lowest at 5

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.