When to Feed My Baby

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Blamethecats and Hannah, Jul 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blamethecats and Hannah

Blamethecats and Hannah Member

Well, Hannah's numbers aren't making much progress and it looks like our vet will have to do something different with her insulin. Her AMPS numbers are in the black and that scares me to death. They drop somewhat during the day, but not enough to be making any progress. The puzzling thing is, she is acting better than she has in quite some time. I am still concerned that she isn't eating enough and maybe there isn't enough food in her system to utilize the insulin. Is that possible? Once a picky eater, always a picky eater, I guess. She is transitioning to wet food, but I just wish she would eat more at a time. Before each shoot, she usually eats about 2 tablespoons of Fancy Feast Classic. The little goober takes about 25 minutes to eat that much and I have to keep reminding her to eat. She is easily sidetracked. After that, we give her a few minutes to tidy herself up, which she does willingly, then my DH gives the injection. Can anyone suggest a better feeding schedule that might make this more successful? She nibbles FFC during the day when I put it in front of her, but it's minimal. At night, she nibbles a little at bedtime, as well. I leave the leftovers out for her and they are usually gone in the morning.

2. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Have you checked out Dr. Lisa's site? She offers tips to transition cats to wet food and while yes, your cat is eating wet food, she isn't eating enough. Some of these tips may stimulate her to eat more.

www.catinfo.org

Such as:

sprinkling parmesan cheese
    adding tuna and/or tuna juice
    purchasing forti flora (sold by Purina and available online - also look for $5 rebate) this stuff is the same stuff put on dry food that entices cats to eat - sprinkle it on her food and she may go for it
    what "treats" do you use? You could break it up and sprinkle on top of her food

If she really is holding out for dry food (which could be the situation) - you can "trick" her by giving her freeze dried raw food - It's what I do here - I use Stella & Chewy's brand freeze dried raw dinners...there are many other brands that might be worth trying.

It's also possible that she doesn't like the flavor of FF you are using. Maybe try a different flavor.

3. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

I absolutely agree with Hillary's comment on the food flavor. My Wink was very picky about flavors and loved the Fancy Feast Turkey & Giblet, still his favorite, but ECID (every cat is different).

4. Hillary & Maui (GA)

And mine used to love the turkey and now won't touch it!

5. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Will she play at all? Sometimes a good 15-20 minutes of active play will stimulate appetite. its a behavior pattern of hunt, catch, eat, elimate, groom, and sleep.

6. Blamethecats and Hannah

Yes, she does play a little, usually in the night, when the house is quiet. She picks a few toys from her basket and we find them in the middle of the floor when we get up in the morning. She has just recently started doing this again, so think she's feeling better. I have tried most of the Classic flavors that FF offers. One day, she will like one of them especially well, the next day she will stick her nose up at it. We just keep rotating, hoping to please her. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Yesterday she loved the FF Classic Chicken and Cheddar Feast, today she is eating FF Classic Tender Beef and Liver feast. I did try the suggestion of sprinkling Parmesan cheese on her Chicken Feast, and she liked it, for a while, then not so much. Grrrrrrrr! For now, her appetite seems to have picked up a bit and I feel good about that. Thanks for all the suggestions and words of encouragement! Hope everyone's day goes well.

7. Hillary & Maui (GA)

I think the cheese versions of FF may be high carb. So you may not want to use those.

8. Blamethecats and Hannah

Oh, no! Does anyone know for sure if they are high carb?

9. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hard to tell from the ingredient list - how about contacting Purina and asking them for the

"as fed" information (not so-called "guaranteed" or label values) . . .

At the very least, if we get get "as fed" values for protein, fat, and carbohydrate. It would also be helpful to have "as fed" values for phosphorus, fiber, water, ash, and calcium, along with calorie information. We cannot use any number which is labeled "maximum" or "minimum", because it is by definition not an accurate value.

So that's your project for the day - get them to give you this information and we can calculate it to see what it really is carbwise.

10. Blamethecats and Hannah

I have done my homework for the day and submitted the following to Purina for reply:

I have a diabetic kitty that is now eating your various varieties of Fancy Feast Classic wet foods. As you may know, the classic varieties have been included in a recommended list of foods low in carbs and high in protein, beneficial and safe for diabetic kitties. This listing is available from the Feline Diabetes Message Board and its included forums. You now have a new variety -- Fancy Feast Delights with Cheddar. Could you please give me the following info on this new variety: the "as fed" information (not the so-called "guaranteed" or label values) . . . at the very least, "as fed" values for protein, fat, and carbohydrate. It would also be helpful to have "as fed" values for phosphorus, fiber, water, ash, and calcium, along with calorie information. Please do not use any number which is labeled "maximum" or "minimum", because it is by definition not an accurate value. With your help, I can then submit this info to the FDMB so they can calculate to see what it really is, carbwise. This would be so helpful to us. FF Delights with Cheddar is a delicious cat food and my cat loves it, but I really need to know more details before offering it to my diabetic baby. Thanks so much for your help.

I will post when I receive a reply. In the meantime, I will not be purchasing Delights with Cheddar. Thanks for your advice on this topic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.