? When to get new bottle

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by MiCo, Dec 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MiCo

MiCo Member

We're getting close to the end of our first bottle. I believe there's about 1/4 left. I'm thinking of contacting the vet today and picking up our next bottle before the holiday. I was wondering though... Do you guys usually use your Prozinc bottle until the last drop? Maybe this varies by cat, and since Cliff is newly diagnosed and still going up in dose--we are definitely gonna need to use the whole bottle. Maybe smaller dose cats don't?

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Hi Michele,
    I go through a bottle in about 2 months approximately. However, I always save the last little bit ( maybe 1/6 bottle?) from a bottle. I read a good piece of advice on here that suggested keeping that little bit as spare insulin in case you drop/break your new one. You'd have an emergency supply. It might be a bit less potent but better than no insulin until you replace the broken vial. I have 3 or 4 old vials in my fridge - really should get rid of the oldest.

I'm always cautious starting a new vial in case there's any increased potency. No need to change the dose but do it on a day when you can monitor.

Emily Tuomey and MiCo like this.
  3. MiCo

MiCo Member

WOW, this is GREAT advice!! This is why I should always ask every question that I ever have to this board because collectively there is so much experience/knowledge. And you guys have thought of EVERYTHING! What a great idea to save a little for in case of emergency. And also, I would never have thought about the increased potency of a new bottle. It's been about two months with this first bottle, and once I draw the syringes for Dave, I think it will be very low--and I will probably move it to the "in case of emergency" part of the fridge!

I thought of calling today, because last time it took them two days to get me the first vial (they were out of stock.) Makes me wonder if they order on-demand? I can't imagine, but maybe? Also, with the holidays and the office closing, I just thought this was wise.

4. Kris & Teasel

We are the Borg ... but in a good way. ;)

I'd order in a new vial today in case there's a delay. Yes, that suggestion about saving the last bit of a vial is really good. I shared that tip with someone else recently and if I could recall where I read it first, I'd go thank that person.

MiCo likes this.
  5. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Hahaha! I love that Kris...we are the Borg.

My vet did order Prozinc on demand. They didn't keep it in stock because they only had 2 diabetic kitties anyway....so they just ordered a fresh one when I was ready for it. It usually didn't take more than a day or 2 and I'd just call and let them know I needed it.

MiCo likes this.
  6. Callie & Patches

Callie & Patches Well-Known Member

Kris, It was me that you shared that tip with today. I had read someone mention that a couple months ago, I don't remember who. It sure is a great idea.

7. Kris & Teasel

Ah, yes. It's a great tip, isn't it? Wish I knew who mentioned it first.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.