When to give B12, Bactaquin &Zantac when also getting Lantus

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by miso00, Jul 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. miso00

miso00 Well-Known Member

Tidus is on 1.75u lantus and I need to start him on Zantac and B12 and Bactaquin.

I'm afraid to introduce all 3 at one time since then if something gets better/worse I won't know which medication is doing it. I would like to start the B12 first but am not sure when and where to give in regards to when he gets his insulin. Can it be given in the back of the neck area where I give insulin or somewhere else? Should it be given a certain amount of time before or after insulin is given?

Same questions for the Zantac and bactaquin

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Re: When to give B12, Bactaquin &Zantac when also getting La

What are the reasons for each medication?

If inappetance is thew issue, I'd start with the Zantac, so he keeps eating.

Then I'd add the Bactaquin to help him digest what he's eating.

Note that his food will have some B-12 in it (see the ingredients label).

Then I'd add the injectable B-12. There is an oral form of methyl-cobalamin too - Xobaline.

3. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

I'll comment on only the B12 injected form. My Shadoe had horrible issues with pancreatitis and the B12 weekly shots virtually eliminated her pancreas inflammation.
    B12 is also something you should be giving to any cat 10yrs and older, even if healthy as it's got several values.

I can't comment on the other items, but I see no reason why you can't start the B12 immediately as it's just a water soluble vitamin.

4. miso00

miso00 Well-Known Member

Tidus is a foster so his history prior to last month is unknown. He has low B12 and based on level vet recommended shots. He was also diagnosed with IBD and vet recommended Zantac. He is a DCIN foster, Venita recommended Bactaquin.

Initially he was having episodes of vomiting and diarrhea but that has stopped.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.