When to give insulin??? after honeymoon

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kristine, Mar 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kristine

Kristine Member

Hi all...
    My boy Christopher has been in a "honeymoon" period for almost 2 years!! Just this week his BG spiked to 286. He has been almost exclusivly around 80-120. I know that I have been lax in NOT giving him kibble for the past month or so. MY BAD of course but since he has been SO good I had gotten lazy. ANYWAY..... how long should I wait before I give insulin to him?? should I test every day and see if by just giving him low carb wet food to see if he goes back down before I panic and start him on the juice again???? I NEED ADVICE!! Thanks....

Krissy and Chrissy

2. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Ugh. Sorry to hear Christopher is no longer in remission. First thing I'd do is get rid of the kibble. Second, have him checked out by your vet to make sure there are no health issues. Continue testing. If his numbers don't come down in a few days without kibble it'll be time to restart insulin.

3. Kristine

Kristine Member

Thanks for your prompt response..... Ok,,, since it has been so very long since I have had to give him insulin....... what is the "magic" number that I should give insulin at? If I remember it is over 200 before food. CRAP!! I dont remember any more.

4. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

200 is the usual guideline given to newbies. However, that may be different depending on what insulin you're planning on using. Visit the insulin support group for the insulin you intend to use and ask for advice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.