When to give shot?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Bee, Jul 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bee

Bee Member

We are going to a parade tonight. We are leaving around 5:30 wont be home till around 9pm. Rocky gets his 2nd dose at 7 pm. So should i give him it before or after?

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

You don't want to give it that early....an early shot can act like a dose increase

If you can change your shot schedule and shoot tomorrow morning at 8:45 (if you shoot at 9), I'd wait

You can work your way back to your preferred shot time 15 minutes per cycle or 30 minutes per day until you're where you want to be again

3. Chris & China (GA)

In the future, if you know you've got plans, you can start changing his shot times earlier in the week and then work your way back afterwards

I also think it's time to go up on his dose to 1.25U

Yong & Maury GA and Bee like this.
  4. Bee

Bee Member

so we got home later then we thought i gave him his shot at 9:30. so i should give it at 9:15 tomorrow morning? keep going down 15 mins till i reach 7 ? Also how do i go up 1.25? I know 1 unit the first line but not sure what line or mark is .25? thank you

5. Chris & China (GA)

Right!!

Do you have syringes with half unit markings? Nobody makes syringes with .25 unit markings so we have to eyeball it and do the best we can. The important thing is to be as consistent as possible with where you decide 1.25 is and try to replicate it each time.

There's not a good picture of 1.25, but here's what .25 looks like.....see how the "tip" of the plunger is between the zero line and the .5 line? (the long line closest to the needle is the zero line...the smallest hash marks are the .5 lines
    .25 unit.PNG

6. Bee

Bee Member

The vet confused the heck out of me then . He told me 1 u was the 1st line. When i took him in to show me how to give it to him he said the first line even showed me had me practice with saline. ??.

7. Chris & China (GA)

The longest line on the barrel of the syringe that's closest to the needle is the "zero" line.....the rest will depend on whether you have syringes that have half unit markings or only whole unit marks

In the picture above, that syringe has half unit marks

On syringes with half unit markings, there will be 10 "hash marks" between zero and 5U (like the example on the left).....if they are whole unit markings, there will only be 5 "hash marks" (example on the right)
    insulin syringe scale.PNG

8. Bee

Bee Member

They are the left ones. So if the vet having me give him the 1st line (zero line) what's he really getting? He told me thats 1 u

9. Chris & China (GA)

If you've only been going to the zero line, he's not hardly getting any insulin!...maybe a drop or two (which would explain why his numbers aren't moving at all)

I suggest you start over now that you know which lines are which and maybe start with .5 and hold that dose for a few days and let's see what happens

Bee likes this.
  10. Bee

Bee Member

Yeah its not much at all i was juat following what the vet told\ showed me

11. Chris & China (GA)

Just another member of the "Veterinary Dufus Hall of Fame"....lots of us have vets in that particular organization!!

AZJenks and Bee like this.
  12. Bee

Bee Member

So .5 would be the 2nd line

13. Chris & China (GA)

The bottom right picture has a pink line to .5
    .5.PNG

14. Bee

Bee Member

Omgoodness thank you so much for informing me and helping me. I had no clue. I hope one i can help someone too

15. Bee

Bee Member

Got it. Thank you again so much

16. Chris & China (GA)

That's what we're here for!!

You might want to make a note of it on your spreadsheet that you'd been measuring your dose wrong so when people see you decreased to .5, it makes sense and they don't think I blew a fuse recommending you start over ;)

Kris & Teasel and Bee like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.