When to increase Cabergoline dose?

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by Deena and Malby, Nov 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deena and Malby

Deena and Malby Member

Does anyone know how long you are supposed to hold the initial dose of Cabergoline (10 micrograms per kilogram) before it is recommended to increase the dose if I am not seeing significant results?
    Malachai has been on it for 2 weeks now and although we are seeing yellows for his Nadir, there isn't a significant drop in numbers.
    I reached out to the RVC but was told someone would get back to me once they knew- I spoke with Katarina.
    Many thanks!

2. Mom2Maverick

Mom2Maverick Member

I think that is the recommended dose. I think people are seeing results in 4 weeks. Any changes in his demeanor like he's feeling better?

3. Deena and Malby

Deena and Malby Member

This (below) was sent to me when I first reached out to the RVC. So I know that is the correct dose, it's just not working very well so I didn't know if I should hold the dose for a while in case it takes a while for it to fully get into the system. On the other hand, one would think 2 weeks would be enough time to see results. His Nadir has been consistently lower but I have yet to see him below 216, ever. His dimeanor is still the same. Lethargic and irritable. :(
    "We have been using an initial dose 10 micrograms per kilogram once daily by mouth which is increased to 15 micrograms per kilogram once daily by mouth if the initial dose is not as effective as we would like."

4. Mom2Maverick

Mom2Maverick Member

Ah ok, I didn't realize that they were giving more at some point. Good luck with whatever you choose. I'm hoping he breaks through soon for you!

5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I think you need to be more patient. Some of the cats in the study took a lot longer to show results. I haven't seen any study results where anyone increased the dose above what RVC suggested to you.
    I disagree, you have no way of knowing what his nadir is doing, based on the limited amount of testing you are doing. Sorry to be such a nag, but I've seen too many acrocats suddenly need less insulin, which can only be caught with appropriate BG testing.

JeffJ likes this.
  6. Chubba (GA)

Chubba (GA) Well-Known Member

Gizmo just started month 3 and I think (hope) his recent blues and greens are a result of the cabergoline finally working. I really have no other explanation as to why he suddenly decided to stay in lower numbers. I suppose it could be the tumor isn't active, but I'm hoping it's the cabergoline.

Deena and Malby and Wendy&Neko like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.