When to put cat back on insulin ???

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Jodi & Jasmine, Apr 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jodi & Jasmine

Jodi & Jasmine Member

When is it time to put a cat back on insulin? Jasmine has been OTJ for a year but her numbers have increased averaging between 162 and 201.6 now? Does this mean she should be back on insulin and how much? Thanks.

2. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

Hi, Jasmine & Jodi.. I put Baby back on insulin after getting a 119 one day & then later that night getting a 186. Some people might have thought I jumped the gun & put her back on the juice too soon.. but I know my cat & she was running in the 40s, 50s & 60s for 8 months so I called her vet immediately & started Lantus the next morning, I was not about to let it get more out of control.

Considering you have had her to the vet & ruled out any infection, etc. I personally would not be comfortable letting her go above normal #s. Have you tested her, fed & then got another test 3 hours later to see if she is bringing herself down?
    I have looked at your SS, but don't see any tests after May 2010.

I hope you don't have to start this again, but as always.. we are all here for you if you do!

3. Sherry & Zoe (GA)

Sherry & Zoe (GA) Well-Known Member

Nicole suggested exactly what I was going to - test, feed and retest (+1, +2 and +3) after eating to see if she is able to bring her numbers back down. I would do a the extra tests just to see what she is doing. I wouldn't let her continue to go much higher.

4. Jodi & Jasmine

Jodi & Jasmine Member

Thanks guys. I will do that - check her blood, feed and re test her blood afterwards to see what I get.

5. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

Sounds great, good luck & please update us!! Gooooooooo Jasmine!!

6. Sherry & Zoe (GA)

Sherry & Zoe (GA) Well-Known Member

Yes, please update us....C'mon Jasmine do good for mamabean.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.