When to shoot full dose?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by AndreaM, Nov 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndreaM

AndreaM Member

Hi everyone,

for some reason, Shroeder's BG numbers were in the normal range this morning. I think he may have gone hypo in the middle of the night. He vomitted clear fluid at 4am, around the time when his insulin usually peaks. He's fine this morning. Good appetite. I've been testing his numbers every hour. If you look at his SS you'll notice his PS numbers are usually sky-high. Not today. So, I've read the FAQs section on when to give him a partial dose. My question is, if I refrain from giving him a partial dose, at what point according to BG numbers, is it safe to give his full dose (currently 3.5 units caninsulin)? Your guidance is appreciated.

Andrea.

2. Pam and Layla

Pam and Layla Member

Hi Andrea,

You didn't get a test in the morning? If you thought he was maybe hypo- it would've been a good idea to get a quick BG test. I'm glad he is okay.

I might suggest you lower the dose. If you think he went to low then you don't want to continue at a dose that caused him to go that low, so, to answer your question, I don't think that I would give him the same full dose at any number. I would suggest maybe a reduced dose around 200. See what the others say.

I did notice that you repeated a shot the other day when you thought you gave a fur shot. Just FYI this is not something you should do, because you don't know how much insulin actually got into his system. I've given fur shots in the past and still had a drop in BG with my cat, so, I just wanted you to be aware for future incidents. Sometimes, if you are able, you can test in a few hours (peak) and give a reduced dose if no drop is seen, but the basic rule is to wait until the next shot time.

Best,
    Pam & Layla

3. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

You are Vetsulin, right? I agree with Pam that you need more information and tests. He is over 200, but if you shoot a smaller dose now (like one unit), you would need to be able to give another unit in 12 hours. Does that work with your schedule?

Can you get another insulin? I think you know that Vetsulin has quality control problems and that may be what you are seeing. I am not sure exactly how their problems impacts the insulin, whether it stops working all together or whether it works sometimes and doesn't do the same thing for the next shot.

4. AndreaM

AndreaM Member

No, I didn't test at 4am. Other than vomiting, Schroeder's behaviour seemed normal. He was walking and jumping (up on the bed) normally, without that wobbley look. I had wet food out for him, which I always have available in case he should ever go hypo when I'm not home, or not awake.

I gave him 2 units at 3:00 when his BG finally went over 300. I will adjust the dose downward if he's finally showing a good response. My vet is assuring me that any quality control issues that cropped up with Vetsulin 2 years ago, have been addressed. That said, if the insulin isn't lasting until hour 12, I will ask about switching to Lantus, ProZinc, etc.

Thanks for the feedback.
    Andrea.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.