When to skip shot

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Rorys Mom, Nov 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rorys Mom

Rorys Mom New Member

I know each cat is different, but what is the "magic number" that tells you when to skip insulin? On the spreadsheet, do you shoot when blue or higher and not in green?
    I tried searching for a sticky or something here, but couldn't find one.

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

There is not really a 'magic number'. It depends on the type of insulin being used and how the cat responds to the insulin....which is something learned over time through testing. I think the generic guideline that is often mentioned for when someone is starting out is not to give anything if the cat is below 150 on a human meter or below 200 on an AlphaTrak meter. That can be adjusted over time though based on the factors I mentioned.

Could you please update your signature to give us info like when your cat was diagnosed, what insulin is being given and what type of meter you use. (I see on the spreadsheet that you use an AT, but it is nice to have that info in the signature.)

3. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

If you don't have enough data (ie your cat is newly diabetic) the rule is to not shoot under 200 on a human meter. Later on when you collect enough data to see just how low your kitty goes, you'll be able to determine if it's safe to give insulin at say, 150, etc. Start with 200, lower your no-shoot number when you have enough data to see what they typically do in a cycle. :)

4. Rorys Mom

Rorys Mom New Member

I'll update my signature later, but he's on Lantus. He was diagnosed in 2010 (I think). He was really regulated and healthy until a few weeks ago, so this home testing stuff is new. He was on 2 units, but I think that was too much. I'm getting more strips today, so I'll feel better about testing more frequently.
    Thank you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.