? When to suggest dosage change?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by TurkeyCat, Jun 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TurkeyCat

TurkeyCat Member

Hi, all - sorry for two new posts in 24 hours! Blame the newbie status. I have a question about when to suggest a dosing change to my vet. She initially put Turkey on 3 units of Novolin-N (I know - not the best for cats) once a day in the morning. I don't think her clients hometest at all but she had no problem with me doing so. After tracking his BG for two days, his numbers follow what seems to be typical for Novolin: Starts in the 300s, peaks in the mid 150s at +3 to +5 and is back up in the 300s or even 400 by +9. Based on the information on Novolin here, it sounds like a 2x per day dosage would probably suit him better. However, I wasn't sure if two days of tracking would provide enough data to really draw a conclusion from, particularly because this is so new to his system. We're leaving on vacation next week (ugh, great timing) and my sister will be watching Turkey for me. She's a vet tech and also a Type 1 diabetic so she knows the drill but also works long hours and won't be home much to monitor BG throughout the day. I'm hesitant to suggest a dosing change too early but it seems that most people who have used Novolin-N start with 2x per day dosing anyway...I'm just trying to decide if it is worth trying to change it up before we leave in 3 days or have him on the 3 units in the morning schedule until we're back. Unfortunately, we're only back for a week before we leave again for another 11 days. Turkey was unfortunately diagnosed right before the busiest part of the summer for us, travel-wise.

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Cats metabolize insulin too quickly to do well on once a day dosing

The vast majority need twice a day...especially with an insulin like Novolin that usually hits "hard" and wears off before 12 hours anyway

I'd probably try 1.5 twice a day instead and see how he does

3. TurkeyCat

TurkeyCat Member

Thanks, @Chris & China - do you think it's too soon to switch it up, particularly since I'm going away and he can't be tracked closely as of this Wednesday?

4. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

With Novolin being a fast acting insulin, I think you'd be fine to go ahead....by Wednesday you'll have a better idea of what dose to suggest while you're gone to keep him safe

5. TurkeyCat

TurkeyCat Member

@Chris & China I just gave him a 1/2 unit since his BG was in the 400 range last time I tested him and he's eaten a bit since then. I figure this will keep his morning number from being super high and I'll start with the 1.5 tomorrow morning. Fingers crossed all goes OK.

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.