When to test for IAA?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Netty N., Dec 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Netty N.

Netty N. Member

Good Evening Cat Peeps,
    Another dose increase for Jones tonight. 3.25 brought him below 50BG last week, so we went back to 3, but he was higher at 3 the second time around than he was the first, and not much better when I put him back up to 3.25. So he got 3.5 tonight.
    I've read a couple of descriptions of the patterns a cat with IAA has, and am wondering if Jones is displaying them. Is it too early to start thinking about having him tested for that or any other issues? He seems to respond well to an increase for a day or so and then go right back up.
    Advice appreciated, as always!

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Generally, once a cat hits 6 units twice a day, the suggestion is to test for high dose conditions.
    Have you checked his mouth for signs of gingivitis? Dental infection will raise glucose, especially if severe.

3. Netty N.

Netty N. Member

It looks like he does have some tartar buildup, and his gums are a little red. His breath isn't too bad. Is it possible to clean them up at home if he'll let me, or is a vet cleaning the only way to go?

4. Tiger(GA) and Ruth

Tiger(GA) and Ruth Well-Known Member

5. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

I'd take him in for a veterinary dental cleaning. Built on tartar won't come off with regular tooth brushing. And, if you attempt to clean his teeth and there is any pain, you'll never get him to accept it again.

6. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

My Neko has acromegaly and IAA - double the fun! We didn't get testing done until over 6 units.

To me it just looks like Jones hasn't hit the right dose yet.

Red gums are a warning flag for me. Any time of infection can make regulation harder. I would go to a vet that does dental X-rays. Not all do. Neko's last two dentals the dental vet found problems that weren't found by visual inspection alone. Other conditions that can complicate regulation are hyperthyroidism, pancreatitis.

7. Netty N.

Netty N. Member

That's good news!

I looked a little closer tonight, and he definitely needs a cleaning. I've been browsing around for a new vet, and I think I've found one that could be good (she's owned a diabetic cat), so I'm going to call and talk to them tomorrow. The only thing is, I don't see anything about x-rays on their website, and I can't seem to find a vet's office that does them that's less than an hour away. I'd really like to get established soon with a new vet who's close by, so maybe I'll just do the cleaning this time and next time make a special trip for a cleaning with x-rays?

Thanks for the link Ruth - I've read through and will use the guide when talking to the (potential) new vet.

8. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

You'll be better off getting a complete dental done (including x-rays) than trying to only do half the job....without the x-rays, they can't see what's going on below the gumline so they might get the part of the teeth that's showing all clean and sparkly, but if the other half is rotting under the gums, it's not going to help in the long run

I had to take China to a new vet over an hour away to find one that did x-rays too

9. Netty N.

Netty N. Member

Alright - just found one about an hour away that specializes in dentistry. I'll call tomorrow. What's a ballpark cost estimate of a complete dental with x-rays?

10. Netty N.

Netty N. Member

Just ordered a kitty toothbrush and toothpaste on Amazon. Jones may never allow me to use it, but we also have a 5 month old Civvie, so I'm going to get her used to brushing ASAP!

11. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Our last dental was about $750 including all the drugs that went with it

Plan on at least $500

Good luck with the toothbrushing!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.