when to test right before shot

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by terri1962, Sep 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. terri1962

terri1962 Well-Known Member

Do you test right before you give shot, 15 minutes before you give shot? What is the time frame?

Terri

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Whatever works, as long as you test before you feed. I tested, fed and gave the shot while he was eating.

3. terri1962

terri1962 Well-Known Member

I have four cats and they free feed wet food. She was just in there eating I think. I have two fat male cats that will hog the food if I tried to ration it out. They have always been free fed hence two fatties. The diabetic is not fat and I can barely get her to eat.

4. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Give the shot no later than 15min after testing BG. In 15min, alot can change.

5. Heather and Raja (GA)

Heather and Raja (GA) Member

I usually test feed and then shot all within a few minutes of each other

It's always a good idea to make sure she eats before you shoot.

Do you think you could put her in another room with some food and shut the door so no one else can get to her food? Or lock the other kitties in a room while she eats? I know it's not ideal and you don't have to lock anyone up for very long, just long enough Lilly gets some food in her tummy

6. I always tested Bob, and right after the test, I would give him his food ("reward for the poke"). As soon as he was done eating (10 minutes, tops), he would get his shot. The shot he never minded. At first, he didn't like tests, but with either a meal or a treat right after the test, he quickly learned that there was a reward for putting up with me. ;-)
    Once you test, you know whether or not she's going to need a shot. If you decide that "yes, the number is a shootable number" then feed her, and if it takes a half an hour for her to eat, that's fine. Lots of people actually shoot the insulin while the cat is eating, and the cat doesn't even know or care if they are distracted by eating. I always waited till Bob was done, since he cleaned the bowl so quickly anyway. It is important that you know she's eaten sufficiently, because you want some food on board to make sure the insulin isn't going into a kittie with an empty tummy. That's really important when you are getting a number that is right on the borderline of "do I shoot, or don't I?"

Carl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.