When ur cat wont let you gey a BG reading

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Bee, Jul 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bee

Bee Member

Well im guessing Rocky is feeling good this morning. He was letting me pet\rub his ears untill i pricked him then he would smack or grab my hand and aggressively meow at me. This made it hard to be able to get a reading . even with his breakfast he wouldn't allow me . Rocky before he was sick would of acted just like this we always called him grumpy old man . he was one of those cats where he would want you to pet him but only 3 times and then he would smack or bite at you. What do i do? I have to take his bg

2. Clark

Clark Member

Some people rap there kitty n a blanket. Sometimes Charlie will only make it easy when she is fed or half asleep. I just use a warm sock full if rice. And sweet talk her for awhile till she is purring and I sneak a jab in. It's hard I feel for you.

3. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Prior to becoming diabetic did it matter where you touched Rocky? Like with a strange dog you always let the dog see you approach so there's no surprise. Warming up the ear worked great for me, definitely give that a try. I read somewhere that gently pulling a cat's ear will release endorphins, that sounds a little out there to me. Maybe rub his ears throughout the day and get him used to the idea of being touched. I used 33 gauge lancets with our first diabetic cat. The only ones I could find in that size were made by BD. Noah is nervous so my routine is to have him in his basket and lay everything out in front of him. I talk to him, give him a little back and neck massage and give his tail a few tugs. The tail thing sounds bizarre but I've had a lot of cats that enjoyed it. I fold a paper towel and hold that behind his ear and then a quick poke and we're done. Good luck.
    ear_01.JPG

4. Bee

Bee Member

He only likes his head and neck area touched.but like i said hes kinda of funny. He would "ask" for a pet so u would pet him and when he was done he'd smack haha like he got annoyed with it.

AlphaCat likes this.
  5. Beenie (GA)

Beenie (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Bee
    Still new to all this myself but I wanted to suggest rubbing Rocky's ears just little and give his favorite treat after. Idea is for him to associate the ear "touching" with a treat coming after. Sometimes bribery is the only way ;). Hopefully he'll get used to it and make BG testing easier after awhile.

Kris & Teasel and Bee like this.
  6. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

If you are can manage to get a bead of blood, catch it on a clean finger nail and test from there. That way, Rocky can walk off and not get frustrated with how long the process is taking. ;)

AlphaCat likes this.
  7. AlphaCat

AlphaCat Member

My Fabby actually terrified grown adults in her heyday. She would be the first one out to greet guests, and meow for them to pay her attention. She allowed 2 pets then she'd smack. She has no fangs, and I keep her nails trimmed. So she's harmless, but grown people would change seats if she was staring at them. Lol. These were regular visitors...
    She also would wait until I was looking at her then she would knock off my stuff from my nightstand so I'd have to get out of bed. My personal grumpy cat.

So when we started testing I would sit in the same spot, give her pets in my lap, rub her ears to warm them, lay out my supplies including her treat pouch. Then poke her ear. Sometimes she's grouchy about it. Flicks the blood off before I can get it I the strip, growl/meow, turn her ear... She's trying to see what I'll let her get away with, just like she enjoyed making visitors get out of their seats. So I just grab the other ear and poke. Generally, she didn't make me poke twice, but sometimes she gets in that mood.
    (I once had to poke 3 times because she flicked off the blood.) But all is forgiven when she gets her treat after the number comes up. Generally if she sees the treat she won't act up. (Learned that part slowly, lol.)
    Another person has said if you can prick and get the blood on your thumb nail quickly you can use that blood to test instead of trying to bring the strip to they're ear.
    Good luck getting into your routine!

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
  8. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

My first heart cat, a civie, was the best at luring people into petting her, circling and rubbing legs, but then when they tried to pet her, she'd turn into a tazmanian devil and try to bite and she had her fangs! That girl was a total suck with her family but anyone else, totally different story!:eek:

AlphaCat likes this.
  9. Noah & me (GA)

Having any better luck? One thing about using a folded paper towel behind the ear is that you can see when you've gone right through the ear because there will be blood on the paper towel but none on the outer ear. Trust me, going right through is pretty easy to do. The 33 gauge is almost painless but I've had problems that my vet said may be because the hole is so small it really won't bleed and clots over very fast. The other option is a 28 gauge lancet but it feels like you're driving a nail when you do it.
    Some people have had to wrap their cat in a towel and do all this on their lap. I don't know how a cat thinks but I'd guess Rocky won't like that. Personally I dislike the idea of showing any animal "who's the boss". Did the pic of the ear help at all?
    I use an Aviva Accucheck meter and the amount of blood needed is almost microscopic, their strips are like little sponges. Some people get blood from the paw-pads, that won't work here as all six hate having their feet touched. The treats are a great idea. Don't forget to praise him for being so brave, if that was me I'd be hiding in the basement.
    The pic of the ear; if you right click the pic you can save it and then print it out if that's a help.

10. Bee

Bee Member

He was so hungry yesterday he let me finally check it while eatting. I also switched to doing the inner ear seems to work better. I knew about the sweet spot but it was a lil hard at first its such a fine small area . this morning he swated me but let me he doesnt actually scratch you just smacks. Hes being a pretty good sport about it. I havent even checked the size of the lancet they came with my micro meter.

Noah & me (GA) and AlphaCat like this.
  11. Noah & me (GA)

That's great. We have a neighborhood cat named Mr. Nasty who will take the end of your hand off if you try and pet him but if he's distracted by food you can pet him. Make sure the inside of his ear is clean and welcome to the club.

AlphaCat likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.