When will he feel better?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by sofapup, Apr 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sofapup

sofapup Member

My kitty Levon has been in remission, but is once again diabetic. He has been in remission twice now, and therefore it's the third time I've noticed him feeling unwell. This time I noticed him drinking the dogs' water (symptom #1) on Saturday. He tested at 375 (symptom #2), but we were unable to see the vet til Monday, and waited for a fructosamine level on Tues (546, symptom #3), so I started his insulin today.

Now, aside from the numbers, he shows signs of not feeling well, (symptoms #4-10, or so.) So my question is, how long before Levon starts feeling better? I feel terrible seeing him unhappy, and guilty for having to wait 4 days before beginning his treatment again. I can measure when his numbers are good, but does anyone know how long it takes to actually feel better? Or, for that matter, just what it feels like to have high blood sugar? Perhaps I should ask a human with diabetes, but that seems a bit rude. Any thoughts?

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Sometimes when a cat comes out of remission it's due to an infection or dental inflammation. Since you've been to the vet I assume these things were ruled out? What insulin are you using? Since you've been here before, you know that it takes awhile to get those BG's under control and that varies with each situation. Be sure to test for ketones and keep posting for guidance.

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

are you sure there aren't any underlying causes of his not feeling well ? Sometimes an infection or something can bring a cat out of remission. Did he have bloodwork done?

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

if he's seeming lethargic, maybe b12 would perk him up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.