? when will kitty feel better?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Misterbeesmom, Jul 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Misterbeesmom

Misterbeesmom Well-Known Member

My question is : did your cat start acting better right away after getting good numbers/reasonalbe regulation?

we've been getting some decent numbers lately, including our first double digit today! Woohoo!

(Granted, it only took 9 months :/

But mr b doesnt act any happier. He isnt having diabetic symptoms- his drinking has decreased greatly, and he isnt eating all the time. Glucose in urine fluctuates from none to just a bit. We've got some other issues, possible discomfort from arthritis for one, which we just started adequan for. The diabetic neuropathy started showing up in december. He has lost muscle.

So i dont want to seem unreasonable like i expect him to suddenly be a firecracker cuz i dont. I just thought he'd seem a bit happier in relation to his better numbers. Perhaps he just needs time to heal?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
  2. Misterbeesmom

(Bump) maybe nobody understands my question?

3. Julia Rae

Julia Rae Well-Known Member

I understand your question the problem is how to answer it. I know that this may sound like an excuse but every cat is different, Magellan did not start really feeling "better" until he was off the juice {insulin}. Even then he has his good days and his bad days last Wednesday he gave James and me a very bad scare we had been on a long road trip and ended up having to sleep in the car. He had been refusing food and water, the heat was in the high 80's low 90's come Thursday am he was still refusing and had started shivering. So I ended up have to give him Iv fluids sub q but he is better now and is getting back to norm.. norm for him at this time. Sounds like you are going to have to reassess what norm is for your Mr B give your self and him time to adjust to this and love him all you can.

Misterbeesmom likes this.
  4. Misterbeesmom

Thanks that does help me.
    Glad magellan is doing better. Great name!

5. Callie & Patches

Callie & Patches Well-Known Member

I noticed a very slow improvement in Callie. The first thing we noticed was a dryer litterbox and that she didn't drink so much. Now, after 3 months on low carb food and insulin, her coat is in better condition and she is more alert and affectionate. It has taken some time and the changes are subtle. Our whole family has noticed the difference.

6. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

I was lucky in that Bertie started to act better almost as soon as we started on insulin, even though his numbers were crappy, and even though he had bad neuropathy (which later resolved with methyl B12).

Jen, it sounds like your boy has other issues to deal with, so it may be the effects of that that you're seeing?
    When you say you'd like to see him 'happier', what exactly do you mean? How is he expressing his unhappiness? Does he seem depressed, for example?

Oh, and huge congrats on that 'double digit' number! :bighug:
    It's good to be able to celebrate small victories! :)

Eliz

7. Misterbeesmom

He lays around a lot. No activity other than moving from napping spots to feeding area to bathroom. He is not depressed. He is alert and engaged in observing things, and he responds to me. It is more like he doesnt want to move much. He used to be so affectionate, seeking me out, rubbing against me. None of that for ages now. Like i said before, this could also be his neuropathy and or arthritis, which even if he is feeling better with better BG levels and nutrition absorbtion, he still wont feel great.

I'm just trying to figure out whats causing what. Its hard when there are so many issues at once.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
  8. Erica & Carter

Erica & Carter Well-Known Member

Carter never acted like he felt bad throughout the course of his diabetes, which is weird. He definitely gained a bunch more energy from the change of diet and weight loss, but even when he was in the 500s, he acted relatively the same as he did in green numbers.

9. Ferndoc

Ferndoc Member

I would say for me it was gradual. I noticed his symptoms decreased pretty quick. (Mostly with the peeing). But Fern overall is a mellow cat so he was always happy. But his more kitten like behavior happened gradually. I know I noticed he seemed to be more and more active but it seems like sometime this summer I turned around and he was trying to catch a moth and though wow so much change.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.