Where can i find Buprenex real soon?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by maryjoandsmokie, May 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maryjoandsmokie

maryjoandsmokie Member

Pharmacy says Buprenex is on back order now.

My cat Fluffy has been on Buprenex twice a day for like 8 months.
    The Orthopedic Surgeon said Fluffy has excruciating pain in both knees and needs surgery and
    to keep him on Buprenex and to give 3 times a day if needed(said it is the best pain med to give a cat)

I can't find Buprenex anywhere here. I have 2 doses left.

Prior to my finding Fluffy he had a crushing injury to his hind limbs and front paw.
    Two Vets here had conflicting opinions about what was causing Fluffy's pain. They both thought the pain was in his hips. One Vet wanted to do the FHO surgery and the other said he
    would not do the surgery as it could make matters worse.

I was finally able to get Fluffy to an Othopedic Surgeon last week.
    This surgeon said that Fluffy has pain in both knees due to the old injuries; that as bad as the hips look the knees are where the pain is.

This surgeron said the surgery might help and it might not help. He did recommend the surgery be done. He gave Fluffy an injection of POLYGLYCON in both knees and he will get a shot of this IM weekly for a month. Said he had never given this to a cat before.

Thanks if you can help.

2. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

Bad news....you probably can't.

Buprenex is a controlled substance (synthetic narcotic) and
    usually needs to be special ordered.

I used to get mine from WalMart, but is was always special order, and I had
    a heck of a time even getting them to understand what to order....I had
    to take in an empty vial so I could show them the NDC number.

Even then, my order was back-ordered as much as 4 weeks. Or I ordered 20 vials and
    then could only get 10 vials.

I learned to always keep plenty on hand and re-order way before I
    got low.

You best bet right now is from the vet that Rx'd in the first place, or from the
    surgeon, or from a 24-hour emergency clinic.

In the future, have your Rx written for 'prn' --- can order as needed, and keep at least
    one month supply on stock at all times.

Wish I had better news, but Bupe is not stocked anywhere that I know of, and as a controlled
    substance, cannot be mailed.

3. Karen & Smokey(GA)

PS;

Where are you (City/state)....

4. maryjoandsmokie

maryjoandsmokie Member

Hi Karen.

I have been getting my Buprenex from Walgreens for a long time with an Rx from
    the Vet. I have been getting it in two or three days.

My Vet had two vials left and he gave me one vial.
    I called the Surgeon in Baton Rouge and they have none to spare. I have called around and can't find any.
    I didn't know i could buy a supply of it. I had forgotten that someone said to get Rx wrtten as prn. (might have been you)

5. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

Karen is the reason I started getting it from Walgreens, 10 vials at a time. Buprenorphine I think is what Walgreens got for Tucker(GA). Might have been Abbott Lab brand name. We also used our AAA membership for a discount.

6. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Oh...somehow I thought you were in Washington state (I have one vial on hand).

It's probably difficult to get your vet to do this, but Smokey's vet wrote the Rx for 10 vials, prn.

As soon as I got 10, I would re-order 10 more. ...because of the back-order problem, etc.

It depends upon your vet. Some think, I guess, that you are going to sell it on the street.,
    and they are very stingy with it.

My vet also offered to sell it to me at his cost, but I never needed to do that. Smokey died
    and I had 19 vials on hand at that time. I donated to needy persons here on FDMB.

You could post on Community "Emergency Bupe needed in Alexandria, LA". Maybe someone has some
    you could borrow until you get a supply.

7. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Buprenex is a 'brand name for buprenorphine.

8. maryjoandsmokie

maryjoandsmokie Member

Thank you. I would borrow or buy.

9. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Something else you might try is to Google "Buy Buprenorphine" and "Buy Buprenex".

I see there are some Canadian and Mexican 'sources'. Some of the links are dead-ends and
    some of the web sites are very vague and a bit scary. I don't have time to run it all down for you.

You might also ask your vet what his source is, and if you could have him increase
    his own regular order for the amount you need, and buy it from him at a reasonable
    mark-up (vets' understanding of what is a reasonable mark-up varies).

You need to keep the pipe-line flowing. I worked with ONE pharmacist at WalMart, and
    he bird-dogged it for me when an order was delayed, etc. I found it better to work
    with the same person each time than to explain it all over each time as to why I wanted
    a narcotic.

10. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

Is there an emergency vet nearby? They would probably require that you come in and they do an exam before they'd prescribe any meds, but they may be able to give you a short term fill. We did that when we needed some meds for Peanut, they pretty much did as we asked as long as we brought her in and they were able to look at her and explain to them what the situation was.

11. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

12. maryjoandsmokie

maryjoandsmokie Member

Karen, I checked out the Canadian pharmacy and they don't sell narcotics.
    My Vet tried another site(Drugstore.com)and all they had was the nasal Buprenex.
    You always must have a perscription. I'll look at the Mexican place.

Melanie, we do have an ER here and i know the Vets there. They want to give Metacam.
    They have wanted to give it to Fluffy before. I'll investigate that tho.

I can't get Tremodol down Fluffy. Lord, i wish i could! I have tried every way there is.
    I have tried and tried. My DS held him while i tried with no success.

The Orthopedic Surgeon told me to ask my Vet for Hydrocodone Syrup for Fluffy . I'm afraid to give it due to side effects.
    My Vet said it is Cherry flavored and don't think i can get it down him.

Has anyone tried Hydrocodone Syrup for their cat?

I was told to stop the Aspirin on Fluffy and since i stopped it several days ago he seems to feel better. I don't know if it is that or if it is the Polygelcan injections he had.
    I always felt like the aspirin made his stomach feel bad.
    Two days ago he had a happy feeling. Just a happy cat. Something i hadn't seen in a long time.

I am really worried.

13. totallybeachin

totallybeachin Member

Might be a chicken shoot. I don't know how any of this can/can't mail this or that works, but, there is a pet pharmacy here in NC that can make customized medicines or something to that effect. Maybe there is something they can do for you. I don't know if your vet has to be licensed in this state to use them or not, like I said, I don't know how any of it works, I just know that is where my insulin comes from. You can try contacting them in the morning and talk to them. Guess it couldn't hurt, right?
    Anyway, the number is 910-485-2167. HTH

14. maryjoandsmokie

maryjoandsmokie Member

Thank you so much, totallybeachin. I will call that number in NC in the morning!

15. totallybeachin

totallybeachin Member

NP!
    I found their website. Sounds like they could prove to be very promising.
    From the website
    have a look...........I thought they were just a pet pharmacy, guess they are so much more than that.
    Who knew? !

http://www.rxfixer.com/

And, if you'd like an interesting read on pharmaceutical compounding, check this out.
    Amazing!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compounding

16. maryjoandsmokie

maryjoandsmokie Member

Hi totallybeachin.
    Thank you so much for finding that site for me. I went to the website and called them and they don't have it.
    Many thanks tho!

17. maryjoandsmokie

maryjoandsmokie Member

I GOT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat :RAHCAT :RAHCAT :RAHCAT :RAHCAT :RAHCAT :RAHCAT :RAHCAT :RAHCAT :RAHCAT :RAHCAT :RAHCAT :RAHCAT :RAHCAT :RAHCAT :RAHCAT :RAHCAT :RAHCAT :RAHCAT :RAHCAT :RAHCAT :RAHCAT :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: \M/ \M/ \M/ \M/ \M/ \M/ \M/ \M/ \M/ \M/ \M/ \M/ \M/ \M/ dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat :RAHCAT :RAHCAT :RAHCAT :RAHCAT :RAHCAT :RAHCAT :RAHCAT :RAHCAT :RAHCAT :RAHCAT :RAHCAT :RAHCAT :RAHCAT :RAHCAT :RAHCAT :RAHCAT :RAHCAT :RAHCAT :RAHCAT dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat

18. Karen & Smokey(GA)

So....how's about some details of how you got it...where, expensive ?, etc.

Inquiring minds want to know.

19. maryjoandsmokie

maryjoandsmokie Member

Hi Karen.
    I was gonna get back here sooner but i have tried all afternoon to get Fluffy into carrier to go to Vet for an injection he is supposed to get every week. He won the battle.

I got the Buprenex at an APOTHECARY Pharmacy in a Hosptial here. They ordered it yesterday and it came in today. I paid $54.OO for 5 ampules. They told me to just call them a day or two before i need it and they would call the Vet and get the order and have it the next day.
    I had asked the Vet to call this Pharmacy as they had told me they could get the buprenex for me but i did not believe they would be able to get it.

The last time i bought buprenex i got it at Walgreens and paid $84 dollars for 10 ampules.
    They told me at this APOTHECARY Pharmacy that they would try to get the Generic for me next time. They also told me that my Vet ordered 5 boxes of buprenex today as he has not
    been able to get it either.

Do you know about this website:
    http://www.roadrunnerpharmacy.com/

This Phasrmacy says they make buprenex from scratch. It is a syrup.

20. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Wonderful !

It's so important to pass this info around because this is just the hardest stuff to obtain !!!

What is an APOTHECARY Pharmacy...is that just the pharmacy in the hospital ?

I was amused by the web-site name....we have a pet Road Runner at the Mobile home park
    I live at during the winter in Yuma, AZ. He comes by for his handout every morning.

21. maryjoandsmokie

maryjoandsmokie Member

Karen,
    What do you think about this site: http://www.roadrunnerpharmacy.com/

A Pharmacist there told me they make Buprenex from "scratch". It is a syrup.
    I haven't asked my Vet about this yet but i will shortly.
    See if you can find out more about the Buprenex they make there.
    Wouldn't it be wonderful to be able to get the buprenex there! (if it works like what
    we have been getting)

I don't know for sure but i believe i was able to obtain the buprenex at this Pharmacy because
    it was in a Hospital. APOTHECARY is a compounding Pharmacy.

So cute about the pet Road Runner.

22. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

There are a number of pain medication alternatives, so it may be worth discussing this with your vet if your cat is going to be in chronic pain.

If dosing is difficult, sometimes meds may be compounded to be rubbed in the ear or, with all the practice you've had doing subcutaneous insulin, you could ask for a subcutaneous injectable pain med.

23. maryjoandsmokie

maryjoandsmokie Member

Karen i found out some more about the Buprenex they compound at the RoadRunner Pharmacy.

A Pharmacist there said they make the injectables in ampules and the strength is:
    0.15mg/ml
    0.6mg/ml
    these are peservative free.

Oral Liquid:
    whatever the Vet orders.
    the only thing added to this is a perserative that they put in all their pet products .

They would not tell me the cost and said i would have to put an order in to get the cost.

24. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

See the Merck Veterinary Manual table of Analgesics for analgesia options.The second column is for cats.

25. Karen & Smokey(GA)

If I recall, the usual concentration that vets use is the .15mg/ml.

.6mg/ml is 4x stronger, and would require a smaller dose....probably very hard to measure.
    But if it's significantly cheaper, perhaps it could be diluted...research required.

26. maryjoandsmokie

maryjoandsmokie Member

What do you know about the oral liquid they compound?

27. Karen & Smokey(GA)

nothing.

It was you that brought it up.

28. Punkyp

Punkyp Member

I am so happy to find this thread! My cat has a massive kidney infection & the vet has him on .4 ORAL Buprenex 3-4 x daily.. They distribute it in seperate premeasured vial but it's costing me $137 A WEEK!!! I have a few questions:

Is the Injectable Buprenex exactly the same as the ORAL solution?

Meaning could I buy the Injectables from Drugstore.com & administer that ORALLY? Or are they whole different formulations/dosages?

Any ideas on how I could obtain the ORAL Buprenex / Buprenorphine more cheaply?? Thank you so much!!!

29. maryjoandsmokie

maryjoandsmokie Member

I just happened to be on here tonite and saw this.

The injectable in vials or ampules is the same thing your Vet is giving you for your cat.
    It is given orally.

Get your Vet to write a prescription for Buprenex.
    Take the prescription to a pharmacy that is located in a Hospital.
    You will always be able to get it in a hospital when it cannot be found at any other pharmacy.
    I always can get it the very next day.
    I pay $54.oo for five 1ml vials. It is more expensive than it used to be but a heck of a lot
    cheaper than at the Vets.

I hope you can find a hospital pharmacy near you. I don't know if it is still on back order at
    other pharmacies.

30. Punkyp

Punkyp Member

Thank you so much for answering.. That's awesome- the injectable & the oral are the same.

I saw it at drugstore.com 30 vials for $89.99 I wonder how many mls are in a vial there? So how long does your 5 vials last you? At my rate I'm going through 1.2 mls a day!!

Thank you again for your research & the time you took to answer me. I'm panicking over the price at the vet...

31. Karen & Smokey(GA)

You should contact drugstore.com with your questions.

That's a very good price if they are 1ml vials. Ask what the
    concentration is.

But, I was under the impression you it cannot be mailed (controlled substance),
    so do your research first with them.

32. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

All I can find at drugstore.com is 30 ml for $272 (or 5ml for $53)
    http://www.drugstore.com/buprenex/0-3mg ... 2496075701

33. maryjoandsmokie

maryjoandsmokie Member

The ampules of buprenex that i get are 0.3mg per ml and i get 5 doses out of each one.
    The dose you give is more than the dose i give Fluffy and i am sure your kitty needs that
    amount to try and control his pain. I don't know how much there is in a vial.

The site at drugstore.com does not have a phone number but you could e-mail them.
    They do say there are special prices for mail orders so they must mail it out. Your Vet
    would have to order it tho and they would mail it to him. I don't know just how that
    works.

Like Larry, i did not see the price you quoted. They charge about the same price i pay at the drug store here.

Why don't you call the drug stores where you live and see how quickly you could get the buprenex from them. It will be so much cheaper than at the Vets.
    If you could find a hospital pharmacy they may have it on hand and the reason is; they have
    to keep it around for their patients.

Bless your kitty. Call the drugstores now if you haven't already.

34. maryjoandsmokie

maryjoandsmokie Member

Punkyp, where do you live?

35. Punkyp

Punkyp Member

HI maryjo, I live in CA. I actually called the manufacturer & they said it's backordered b/c of a lack of quality ingredients to make it up. I called evey Walgreens, Walmart, hospital pharmacy , drugstore.com ---everywhere & they all don't have it. My vet says she only has a 1 mionth supply left herself.I got Tramadol for my kitty so we'll see if that works. Thanks for all your help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.