where do I go from here

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by shawna, Apr 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

If you would feel better, you can test in a few hours, but he's rising on his own now, and the insulin usually starts to wear off after the 5-7 hour mark.

So here's the plan for tomorrow:

Under 200 - no shot
    Over 200 - one unit

If you have any questions in the morning, go ahead and post them. There are usually people around since many of the folks on here are in the eastern time zone.

Yong & Maury GA and shawna like this.
  2. shawna

shawna Member

Ok thank you!!!! That was scary...thank you from the bottom of my heart!!! (And thank you to everyone)
    I don't know what might of happened. I'll never forget you all, and your kindness.
    Goodnight! Talk soon! Much love!!!

JanetNJ and Djamila like this.
  3. shawna

shawna Member

Excellent! I feel so relieved knowing what to do now!!!! Thank you!! :)

4. Djamila

Good night! Sleep well! Give Teddy a hug from all of us!

shawna likes this.
  5. shawna

shawna Member

I will definitely give him a hug for you all!!! Smile!!!! xoxoxoxox
    I'm so thankful!
    Goodnight!!

6. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Let us know the preshot test this morning.

shawna likes this.
  7. shawna

shawna Member

Hey there, I tested him at 6am and it says 247. So he is eating now and then I'll give him the one unit. It's so nice to know what to do!

Kris & Teasel and JanetNJ like this.
  8. JanetNJ

Wow that preshot is lower than I thought. Def only give 1 unit.

shawna likes this.
  9. shawna

shawna Member

Do you use a lancing device that clicks? I don't have one, I'm just using the lancets on his ear - but I think it might be so much easier to use a device? Or no?
    After he eats I need to try to get him to use the bathroom, he didn't go or even move around at all yesterday..
    And then we need a nap lol

10. shawna

shawna Member

Ok thanks. I wonder why the preshot is low? He was taking steriods (not anymore) and he was so stressed at the vet, And I mean beyond stressed, so maybe his numbers were never that high? The first time I bought this monitor last week it read 300 something though.

11. shawna

shawna Member

One more thing please...He is devouring his food since all this started yesterday morning...(usually I have had a hard time getting him to eat all the food I want him to) so should I give him more than the one little can right now? It's 3 ounces. Or just wait until his next meal in twelve hours?

12. JanetNJ

I don't use the device. I did the first two weeks and nor only did she not like the click, I couldn't be as accurate. I'll link to a video I made a few weeks ago about testing.......

shawna likes this.
  13. shawna

shawna Member

Ok thank you so much for sharing!!

14. JanetNJ

You don't have to feed 12 hours apart. That's an old fashioned method. Most of us feed several small meals a day, just no food two hours before preshot testing.

Can you set up a signature so people don't have to ask you the same questions repeatedly? Click on your name at the top and select signature. Add info such as date diagnosed, cats name and age, type of insulin, food you're feeding and any other health concerns.

shawna likes this.
  15. shawna

shawna Member

Aww I haven't watched it all yet, I'm going to do that now...but it is so nice to see you! And your CC is so adorable!!! Aw! I will definitely upload Theodore's picture soon!

JanetNJ likes this.
  16. shawna

shawna Member

Yes, definitely

17. JanetNJ

Awe! He looks a lot like my CC! Handsome boy!

18. JanetNJ

19. shawna

shawna Member

Aww what a beautiful cat CC is!!! Aw melts my heart! I did my signature, please let me know if I should change anything because I wasn't quite sure what to put / how to write it.
    Thank you for everything! :cat:

JanetNJ likes this.
  20. JanetNJ

Looks good. :)

shawna likes this.
  21. JanetNJ

I had missed this question. Being at the vet can definitely raise numbers.... Some cats they can raise 100 points or more! This is why curves at home are so much more accurate than at the vet. This is really a great preshot number.... If you had blindly shot 4 u he would have been in big trouble.

shawna likes this.
  22. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Teddy is a very handsome boy! I've just read through the last parts of your thread here. Congratulations on getting through the hypo and keeping Teddy safe. :) A lot of learning happened last night!

shawna likes this.
  23. Kris & Teasel

JanetNJ likes this.
  24. Kris & Teasel

It's amazing that his pre shot is so good after that episode last night. He might not be a big bouncer after all and that's a good thing. Please think about setting up the spreadsheet we use here. It's viewable by all members and is the first thing we look at before offering advice. There are techies on here to help with it if needed.
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/

25. JanetNJ

Yep that was going to be my next suggestion.

Download Google Sheets and follow the above link. :).

shawna likes this.
  26. Djamila

Good morning! Your signature looks great, and I love your photo! One little change to the signature: yous say 1 unit as needed, but it should be 1u BID or 1u 2x/day. Or you could just take that off since the dose will change fairly often.

What a great pre-shot! How long ago did Teddy stop the steroid?

shawna likes this.
  27. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Great job last night, Shawna :bighug:. CC and Theodore could be siblings! Both sooo adorable :cat::cat:. Very nice PS this morning!

shawna likes this.
  28. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Hi Shawna! I missed all the excitement last night...you did AMAZING! I think I saw that you're in FL? I'm just up the road from you in AL!

Please do continue to ask us any questions you have and let us know how we can help you...that's what we're here for!

shawna likes this.
  29. shawna

shawna Member

I love when CC puts his little mouth right up to the test strip...sooo cute!! I just watched the video again, so helpful. I am going to add the neosporin and the cotton pads to his little kit. Thanks again for sharing the video.

JanetNJ likes this.
  30. shawna

shawna Member

Yes I definitely will set up a spreadsheet. That's such a great resource, thanks.

31. shawna

shawna Member

Yes I can't even explain how grateful I am! I learned SO MUCH last night....
    Here's my little sweetie right now, he's so much better than last night. Yesterday was rough. Theodore and I are both thankful to have found you all. :)
    IMG_1525.JPG

32. shawna

shawna Member

Thank you about the signature information! He stopped the steroids for arthritis over a week ago, right around the same time the vet diagnosed him with diabetes. We stopped the steroid because he wasn't doing well....but it turns out he wasn't doing well because he had the diabetes... We thought he was losing his back leg strength from his arthritis or possibly something terrible that wasn't diagnosed yet, but I think all these problems were from high blood sugar.
    He had taken that for a good three weeks....so I'm glad he isn't taking that anymore!
    He has Meloxidyl for his arthritis now, but she said only give to him when I see he looks like he needs it / or on bad days she said.

33. shawna

shawna Member

Hi there! It's nice to meet you and everyone here. What a lovely group of people and such invaluable information shared! I know they saved Teddy's life last night and I'll be forever thankful.
    Thank you!

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  34. Djamila

What a handsome fur baby!!! Aren't they just adorable when they are sound asleep like that!

It sounds like he's having some neuropathy -- common with diabetes. As his numbers settle, you will likely see some improvement in his leg strength and comfort.

Have you done a mid-cycle test today to see how he's doing on that one unit?

shawna likes this.
  35. shawna

shawna Member

Ok I just checked. He had a cute growl going on...oh my, he's getting annoyed with his mama lol

It is at 93.

??

JanetNJ likes this.
  36. Djamila

Is he at +7 right now? (seven hours after shot time)
    93 is a great number!

shawna likes this.
  37. shawna

shawna Member

I tested him at 6am and it said 247. He ate and I gave him the 1 unit shot about 6:20 or so.... so it's been about 6 hours I believe since food and shot.

So 93 is a good stable number for the day until I check him tonight? And if his preshot is lower than 200, no insulin right?
    I will definitely do that spreadsheet today!

38. Djamila

Exactly! All of that is correct. 93 is on the high end of our "green" numbers which means it is both good and safe. Being at +6 means he isn't likely to go much lower.

Make sure he doesn't eat in the two hours just before the evening test. The rest of the day it's fine for him to eat.

shawna likes this.
  39. JanetNJ

If you think the leg weakness is diabetic neuropathy, give him vitamin B12 to help reverse it.

shawna likes this.
  40. Djamila

Try to keep the two test/feed/shoot times as close to 12 hours, and as consistently as you can. Prozinc has some flexibility in terms of still being safe, but it seems to work best when it's consistent.

shawna likes this.
  41. JanetNJ

perfect number!

shawna likes this.
  42. shawna

shawna Member

Thank you so much!!!!!!
    Can I ask what are green/safe numbers are again, meaning the actual numbers are?

43. shawna

shawna Member

Ok I definitely will! Thank you!

44. shawna

shawna Member

That's great info to know!!!! Thanks!!

45. Djamila

0-49 is lime green = bad
    50-99 is dark green = great

The ranges are all listed at the top of the spreadsheet, so once you get that set up and start putting in numbers, the color coding happens automatically.

46. Blair & Freya

Blair & Freya Member

If you check the spreadsheets most of us have linked in our signatures, the BG numbers are on a "scale" with different colours. The darker green numbers are a good range for most cats at peak insulin time, and can even help the pancreas to "heal" and kick itself back into action in some cases. (Although the light/neon green numbers indicate hypoglycaemia, as you experienced already!) Wish mine would spend a bit more time in that range, hahah. As someone already mentioned, target lows are around 100ish for most cats (or not much above that), as that allows a bit of safe leeway.

I just read over this thread and that was sure a rollercoaster. Glad Teddy's okay!

shawna likes this.
  47. Blair & Freya

Blair & Freya Member

Whoops, I see @Djamila beat me to it. :cat:

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  48. shawna

shawna Member

Oh wow it's a color coded spreadsheet!! I honestly just stumbled upon this website last night through panic and tears, and I've already learned so much and I feel Teddy is going to be ok!! Before I found you all I just didn't think I could do all this and I didn't think he would be ok!! I don't mean to keep going on and on, but you are all life savers. Xoxoxoxo

49. shawna

shawna Member

Nice to meet you! Thank you for this information too!!! xoxoxoxo

50. Djamila

The power went out here because a car just hit a power pole. Not much to do, while I wait for them to fix it!

Yong & Maury GA and JanetNJ like this.
  51. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Oh no, hope the power comes back on soon!

93 is a great number!!!

52. Kris & Teasel

I agree! Great BG for Teddy today. Hallelujah for FDMB! :D

shawna likes this.
  53. Yong & Maury GA

Very nice Teddy :D

shawna likes this.
  54. shawna

shawna Member

I tested him at 6:30pm, just a bit ago, and it is exactly 200.
    He is eating now...I should still do the 1 unit insulin after right? I'm did not get to do the spreadsheet yet, but I'm going to. Just wanted to check to make sure I'm doing the right thing since it's exactly 200....

55. shawna

shawna Member

I don't mean to bother you but if the reading is 200 I still give the 1 unit of insulin right?

56. Djamila

Hmmm.....hang on just a second...

57. Djamila

Will you be able to get another test in tonight sometime around +4 or +5?

Do your syringes have any other marks besides the whole unit marks for 1u, 2u, 3u, etc? Are there any half unit marks?

58. Djamila

Teddy's going to keep you on your toes, isn't he?

shawna likes this.
  59. shawna

shawna Member

I don't have half marks in the syrings but I could make it go right in the middle of zero and one??

Yes I'll be home now all night - so should I wait and test him ?

60. Djamila

No, I'm thinking you should give what we call a skinny 1u. You draw up the 1 unit, but stop just a little shy of it. And then still make sure you get a test before bed tonight.

shawna likes this.
  61. shawna

shawna Member

Yes!! :)

Djamila likes this.
  62. shawna

shawna Member

Ok great, thank you....thank you, and thank you!

Djamila likes this.
  63. Djamila

Are you still feeding the Royal Canin? Is it the Glycobalance dry? or something else?

shawna likes this.
  64. JanetNJ

i agree... do a "skinny" 1... like a .75

shawna likes this.
  65. shawna

shawna Member

Yes only the wet canned royal canon glycobalance food. He ate only dry food his whole life but when all this started happening he refused dry food, and kind of acts like a tooth hurts even tho the vet said his teeth look good. so I switched to just wet. I have the fancy feast wet food here too, just in case I ever need him to eat more.

66. Djamila

shawna likes this.
  67. shawna

shawna Member

And I just had to wash his bottom because he refuses to go in his litter box since this all happened because he was peeing so much from the excessive drinking that the clay litter was getting stuck in his paws and it hurt him, so I really think that's why he is refusing! So I have wee wee pads that he goes on. Stressful but I don't know what else to do!
    But now since his legs seem weak/are hurting, it's kind of like he sits in the pee as he pees or after. So I always am trying to wipe him up and he growls sometimes because his legs are hurting. I think I need to give him the Meloxidyl every day for awhile, I wish I just knew. My poor Theodore. I hope I'm taking good care of him, I mean I think I am but I hate that he is hurting! this really is hard to go through. He's been my only pet and I didn't realize it would be so hard! I mean I know it is, but to go through it is harder than I thought.

68. shawna

shawna Member

69. Djamila

I'm so sorry to hear he's having such a hard time with his legs! The good news is that you're getting some really great numbers right now, and that will help him heal. How long ago did you start noticing the problems with his hind legs?

shawna likes this.
  70. shawna

shawna Member

Everything started all at once in the beginning of February. He stays inside and has never been sick in his life besides having some teeth pulled.
    So the beginning of February he stopped eating and drinking...he was treated for an ear infection. He had bloodwork done and it didn't show diabetes but it showed higher liver enzymes.
    He was limping badly. She did X-rays but they were not clear....She thought he had cancer and wanted to do biopsys and it was costing me a small fortune. So I switched vets.
    The new vet did awesome X-rays and found the patch of arthritic and after a month did bloodwork and found diabetes.

71. shawna

shawna Member

I did not switch vets because of the money - but I switched because this was her first year as a vet and I didn't feel confident with her - I'm sure she is awesome - but I was told about a highly experienced vet so I switched to her and she pin pointed everything very quickly.
    I've been happy for far. Her partner vet told me to switch to 4 units, so I think I will talk to my main vet when I go in next.

Djamila likes this.
  72. Djamila

How do you think he would do switching litters? There are some litters that will stick to him less. And may help with him getting pee on himself. There are shallow litter boxes that he might be able to enter more easily with the arthritis, and a new box might help him with the negative association too.

Vets and diabetes are difficult. They just don't get much training on how to treat it -- especially in cats. That's why this place is so helpful -- it's full of people who do this everyday, so you can learn way more than your vet knows! ;)

jbfrank and shawna like this.
  73. shawna

shawna Member

Yes this place is a life saver for real!!! I tried to buy the yesterday's news cat litter....recycled paper... with a new shallow litter box and he refused! And I even bought a shallow litter box and just put a ton of soft wee wee pads in there, even that would be better. But he refuses that too! He only wants to go in one place (in my living room!!!! Noooo) but it's near the couch where he is sleeping now. He doesn't go upstairs anymore so I've been sleeping downstairs on the couch with him! I love this cat, lol.
    So I have the wee wee pads on the carpet. He's only had one accident on the carpet total, but I still can't just let to continue to go to the bathroom there! Although he rules this house, it's just Teddy and me and he does whatever he wants lol but I hope I can resolve this when he feels better!

74. shawna

shawna Member

He has cat stairs that he manages to get up on the couch. He doesn't jump or move around much at all lately.

75. Djamila

Lol...oh, how I can relate to that! It's me and two kitties....I often say this is their house, and they just let me live here because I feed them! Have you tried World's Best Cat Litter? It has a more similar feel to clay, but it doesn't stick to them.

Sounds like his arthritis is really bothering him. Why don't you post out in the main forum about the arthritis and the metacam? There might be some folks here who have some experience with it that could give some suggestions about pain management for him.

shawna likes this.
  76. jbfrank

jbfrank New Member

Exactly. And to add to that, I feel that older vets might also be a little out of touch with things like low carbohydrate diets and the different insulin regimens. I was happy to see that Teddy was initially prescribed Prozinc as my vet started Buddy (my cat) on NPH, but she was open minded and switched him over at my request without a fuss.

Shawna, good luck to Teddy and you. He is very fortunate to have you as his best friend and caretaker!

77. Djamila

@jbfrank -- look at your spreadsheet!!! Those numbers are great! Congrats on the quick turn around!

Yong & Maury GA, shawna and jbfrank like this.
  78. shawna

shawna Member

Lol yes! Ted knows he can do anything!
    No I haven't heard of that litter, but I will definitely give it a try!! Fingers crossed!
    Good idea about posting on the main forum about arthritis and this medicine! I don't know a lot about this medicine either. And it's like he suddenly went from perfectly healthy to sick. I know cats hide their pain well so it wasn't overnight but it sure seemed like it to me. I'd love to hear pain management ideas....thanks for the idea!

79. shawna

shawna Member

Aww thank you jbfrank! Well he was initially prescribed a different insulin that was so expensive! I had mentioned that I was a bit worried about the cost and then my vet asked me if I wanted to try the prozinc and that it was for cats....so that's how he got this insulin. It looks like this ended up being a good choice, thankfully!
    Thanks for the kind words. :)

jbfrank likes this.
  80. JanetNJ

Dr.elsey's Cat Attract litter might be worth a try too.

shawna likes this.
  81. shawna

shawna Member

Ok great! I wrote those two kinds down!! Thanks!

82. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

You might also try putting a litter box in the spot he was peeing on the carpet. See if he'll use it there....and then over time you might be able to slowly move it to a better spot for you both.

shawna and JanetNJ like this.
  83. Cherish Gallagher

Cherish Gallagher Member

My vet didn't let me know any of this info either. I had the same problem as you a few weeks ago with shooting while she was too low because I just didn't know...

shawna likes this.
  84. shawna

shawna Member

That's a good idea...I didn't think of that. I was trying to move the wee wee pads slowly towards the litter box, but I'll give this idea a try! Thank you!

85. shawna

shawna Member

I'm glad we both know now!
    I'm feeling a bit paranoid now though. I keep worrying his blood sugar will go really low again. I wasn't able to check him a second time tonight (I did the pre shot) but I wanted to check him again because he's acting a bit weird....but he truly won't let me. He even hissed at me...so sad. I could try to fight it out with him, but I feel he is going to be ok right now. He ate some more so I'm going to just get his testing in the morning and I'll keep checking on him tonight. Doesn't help that I'm sick myself right now, just a bad cold, but that really drains the energy from you. I'm not complaining, just stressed out lol

86. Yong & Maury GA

I was so surprised to see that progress in such a short time too! Might see another diet controlled kitty! :cat:

jbfrank, shawna and Stressedcatmom like this.
  87. Yong & Maury GA

88. Djamila

Ugh! I was hoping I was wrong about that!

Shawna - try giving Teddy some love and woo him with treats and head scratches (or whatever he likes). Hopefully he'll let you get another test in.

As for the food -- that food is too high in carbs to be healthy for a diabetic cats. Most vets prescribe that or something similar - but we all end up on low-carb foods for our kitties. HOWEVER...if you just stop feeding it to him, it's likely his BG is going to drop pretty dramatically. So changing him onto Fancy Feast Classics pate, or Friskies pate (or something else low carb - but those are good foods and inexpensive) is going to take some care and require you to be able to test in order to keep him safe. So keep feeding how you've been feeding him until you can be more certain of getting the tests done. I would say odds are once the food is switched he will have numbers in the normal, non-diabetic ranges. Time will tell...

shawna and Yong & Maury GA like this.
  89. shawna

shawna Member

Wow, how can vets prescribe that food for cats with diabetes! :( that is so sad...so they do not know low carbs work best for diabetic cats? I'm so confused!

All tonight Teddy has been on alert and growling. Any time I get near him (or move if I'm on the couch with him) he growls at me. He never does this!!!! I'm trying to let him be in peace but I'm also getting my confidence up to try to test him. This is so awful :(

90. Yong & Maury GA

I know it's difficult to not let that behaviour effect you but remember you are doing it to help him, keep him safe, not to hurt him. Deep breathes :bighug: You got this!

shawna likes this.
  91. Djamila

Ugh. I remember that phase. Sending you lots of love and reassurance! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

shawna and Stressedcatmom like this.
  92. Djamila

I think what happens is that the sales reps go into the vet offices and spin them a tall tale about how great the food is and how it's scientifically formulated and will magically heal all the pets. The vets sincerely want to help their clients, so they believe the sales pitch and then pass it on to all of us. They do make a profit off of selling it, but I choose to believe that the vets have good intentions, they just don't know it's bogus and don't have time/take the time to research it.

My vet specifically told me that the glycobalance was low carb, and I think he really honestly thought it was. It wasn't until I went home and found this board that I learned otherwise.

shawna likes this.
  93. JanetNJ

Does he like cat nip? That might chill him out!

Always give a treat when testing so he gets good associations with it. Fresh meats like chicken, cold cuts without fillers(Boars head brand I know doesn't), cat nip, freeze dried meat treats.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
    shawna likes this.
  94. shawna

shawna Member

Wow, thanks for sharing...it makes sense. I guess that just reaffirms why it is so essential to get our own knowledge to help our fur babies!

His blood sugar this morning - right now - is 349.

I don't know why the number jump around so much. Do I still stick to 1 unit?

I know I can't keep asking every single time, and I couldn't do the spreadsheet yet because I'm sick with first grade germs lol. It's just a cold but I feel awful, so I didn't have the time or energy to figure it out yesterday.

95. shawna

shawna Member

Oh I never thought to use fresh meats as a treat - he has never eaten people food. Well not that fresh meat is only people food lol ...only people own that food lol, oh geez I am tired LOL but I will try that because right now he is starting to really not like when I touch his ears!

His blood sugar right now is 349, so high? I think it's because I panicked last night and gave him extra food because I kept worrrying his blood sugar was low because I couldn't test him, he was not happy last night!

I asked djamila already, but i don't know if she will get the message, do I always stay with 1 unit if it's over 200, even if it's high like it is now?

96. shawna

shawna Member

Catnip used to make him a bit crazy lol. It won't hurt to try though, thanks!

97. JanetNJ

It's really not that high for a preshot. Yes, do 1 unit for a few days.

shawna likes this.
  98. JanetNJ

And don't forget to play. Right now he is passed at you and could use some positive interactions. Not to mention activity helps lower their levels just like for people.

Djamila, Yong & Maury GA and shawna like this.
  99. shawna

shawna Member

Ok, thank you so very much.
    I hope you have a good day!

100. shawna

shawna Member

Yes I will definitely try. He doesn't want to get off the couch! I bought him new little ball toys and he just looks at me like, yeah right. Lol. But I will try xo

JanetNJ likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.