where do i go with this dosing mess?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by julie & punkin (ga), Mar 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=38467

so it turns out punkin's lantus is being given in the wrong dosage needles, meaning he's getting 7.5 units BID instead of the 3 units that i thought he was getting.

I just looked at the Prozinc that we were using and it was 40ml, using U-40 syringes. His last dose of the Prozinc (morning of Feb 12) was 4 units and his first dose of Lantus was that night, 2 units. The vet raised the Lantus dose Feb 13 to 3 units.

When the vet switched him over to Lantus he didn't have us change the needles. In fact, when i went today they said they would make a note in his file that we wanted Monoject u-40 needles.

I will give the vet a call in the morning about it, and i'll try to get the previous BG numbers.

i guess i'll go ahead and give punkin the same doses tonight and in the morning. he's acting fairly normal - sure better than when it was untreated and he spent the day laying against his water bowl. he does a little bit of wrestling with our civvie, Anya, who is 2. He sleeps a lot, but hey, he's 12 and he's a cat. they like to sleep!

I'd appreciate it if there's any advice out there. i'm just feeling sick about it and wondering what i need to do, not to mention if this has done anything awful to him.

2. Barbara and tuffy

Barbara and tuffy Well-Known Member

First, please use one condo per day. This should be in the other condo for ease of assisting you. Please do not used the U40 syringes unless you convert for the u-100 syringes for the Lantus units. That is too much insulin. Is there a 24 hour pharmacy where you could get U-100 syringes with 1/2 u markings?

3. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Before you react to Barb's note, take a look at Libby's post in the other condo. She gave you very detailed information with all of the options laid out.

(Although, Barb is right -- one condo per cat per day so you don't have to go leaping back and forth!!)

5. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

You may have trouble finding the half unit syringes at a local pharmacy, but for now since you are on a dose w/ full units the half unit marking aren't necessary. When Tess first started lantus I couldn't find the half unit syringes, but I could get packs of 10 regular u-100 syringes at CVS. that should hold you till you can get a box of with half unit markings. I don't know if you need a rx for syringes where you are, some states require it. Anyone know if it matters online?

i would order them online not through your vet, vets usually get a pretty good markup on things like that. You'll probably get them faster and delivered to your door too. Many of us order from Hocks (green link on the top of the page) they have very good prices and are fast. Just tell them to ship by US Postal Service, it is much faster than FedEx or UPS.

6. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

sorry - i posted this, then saw Libby's post in the other thread and then tried to delete this thread. thought i had. whoops. sorry about that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.