Where do u get your BG sample?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by christyaran, Apr 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. christyaran

christyaran New Member

I'm sure it is written somewhere but since I am new I don't know where to go... I'm wondering with so many of you testing at home, where do you get your blood sample to test their BG? I have been doing it from the back paw pads, but he's starting to lose patience, where else is a easy place to get some blood? Any articles with help on how to get a sample.

Thanks.

2. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

3. Here is a pic of the "sweet spot" on kitties ears where you can get blood from:

Carl

Attached Files:

4. Pumbaa

Pumbaa Well-Known Member

Just as Carl posted. The ears. Not the veins in the ears but just outside the veins. Pumbaa flinches when I do this, but I really don't think it hurts him much since he still sits calmly on my lap now, while doing this.

If your cat is dark in color, you might want to use an electric razor/buzzer to shave the ear hairs and make the blood drop easier to see. Also, don't expect great results the first time you try the ears...it takes about a day of attempted testing for the blood to flow to these ear sections, on command. And I highly recommend using a sock filled with rice and heated in the microwave for 20 seconds, and rubbed gently on the ear (make sure you don't burn your kitty...test the heat first) to bring the blood up to the ear for easier testing.

Also, my Pumbaa, who was never a lap cat, now tolerates this testing because I used high-quality treats (sardines packed in water, no salt added) in front of his face to bribe/distract him through the tests initially. :) Now I can test him without even offering bribes! It's amazing!

5. akbahsMum

akbahsMum Member

Akbah's ears are black, so I use a torch to look through them and decide where to prick, and then to allow me to see when the blood comes. I have heard others position themselves under a bright lamp for the same reason.
    I rub the cat while alternating the warm sock first on the back, then the front, then the back of the ear to warm it up, I do this for a full minute which I think Ak quite enjoys.
    And he looks forward to his treat at the end, usually a bit of chicken breast or sandwich ham.

6. tortie58

tortie58 Well-Known Member

7. akbahsMum

akbahsMum Member

8. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

There was an FDMB offer a year or so ago for a product called Illumavein http://illumavein.com/ It's a testing aid for blood glucose testing, basically a small light that you place on the cat's ear, squeeze gently to turn the light on, and see where the vein is and where to poke. A small bright flashlight would work just as well and cost way less.

Once ear poking becomes easy and almost second nature, you may not even need a light. One of my civies has black ears and I can get blood from the first poke. You just know where to poke after constant testing on a diabetic :smile:

Hometesting tips and info: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=287

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.