where do you get your insulin from these days?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by George&Bert, Apr 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George&Bert

George&Bert Member

With the Canadian requirement for prescriptions it puts a spin on acquiring insulin. And these days how safe is getting insulin from other than the U.S.? I have read some disconcerting stories and maybe some incorrect info is being passed around. Does all Lantus originate for Egypt?

Just as a side note I asked my pharmacist who supplied me the Lantus just how delicate it was. I heard of people wrapping it in padding in case it falls over in the refrigerator. He said it was not delicate at all. You should worry if you drop it and the bottle cracks, but other than that just watch the temp.

2. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

I have always got my insulin from Shopper's Drug Mart. I am in Canada

3. George&Bert

George&Bert Member

Hi Gayle

Does it say "Made in the USA" on the label?

You don't need a scrip do you?

4. carolynandlatte

carolynandlatte Well-Known Member

I got my levemir from Canada.
    No label saying it was made in the USA.
    You should contact the manufacturer and ask them where it is made.

5. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

Before I switched Musette's insulin DCIN ordered her Lantus from Canada, now she is on Levemir and when what I have for her is gone I'm sure her new stuff will also come from Canada because of the huge difference in price. Her Lantus was made in Turkey and was perfectly fine as far as Lantus goes it just wasn't a good insulin for her.

That said I believe that Canada only requires a prescription if you are in the US and ordering from Canada, if you are in Canada you still dont need a script for either Lantus or Levemir. But if you are in the US you are going to need a script wherever you purchase the insulin from.

Mel, Maxwell, Musette & The Fur Gang

6. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

No rx needed for insulin or syringes at all.
    I have no idea about any label... I bought the stuff locally, it worked, I was happy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.