? Where have the low BG results gone?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by portana, Jul 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. portana

portana Member

So, my Simba had one day of good numbers and then never again. Is this normal? Why? Might he be better in a different type of insulin? What do you think?

I have enrolled him in a clinical trial by the Diabetes Remission Clinic at the Royal Veterinary College in London, UK which means they will change him over to Prozinc and help me get him into remission if this is at all possible but it's so disheartening to see his results still being so high after ONE single day of good numbers :(

Thanks

2. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Take a look at Maury's SS. Same thing happened to me, didn't see the nice numbers until a week later. I did increase his dose a few days after the icky numbers again though. How would you feel increasing to 3.25U? Or if you'll be switching to Prozinc soon, maybe just wait. So I can't say it's normal for everyone but I had the same experience :bighug:.

Please don't get your heart set on remission, it doesn't happen for all kitties. Try to focus on continuing to do your best for him, help him feel better and be happier, and you not stress out a ton :). Also, if he does go into remission, remember it is just that. He could start the sugar dance again. I tend to sound like I damper everyone's high spirits :oops: but I just try to remind others of the other possibilities so they're not disappointed. I do hope for all the kitties to get a taste of remission :cat:

3. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

(((Ana))).... It's still very early days. Don't worry. And it can be a bit harder to get kitties regulated when they have other health conditions. Some folks here with pancreatitis kitties have found that food sensitivities and pancreatitis flares can affect BG numbers quite a bit.

It's good news about getting into the RVC's 'Remission clinic' trial. Not least because (I think) you'll get free diabetic supplies for a year? And also free access to medical care for your kitty, and round the clock support by phone if you need it. And apparently the vets are absolutely lovely. :cat:

But, as Yong says, don't 'set your heart' on remission. It's not for all kitties.
    ...That said, there are a number of UK kitties here who got onto the trial previously, and a few of those did go into remission.

A teensy note of caution though.... The RVC trial is, first and foremost, a research project. They are experimenting with different methods to see what works. And one of the caregivers on the trial was using some quite extreme dosing methods; far beyond anything that we would ever suggest doing here. The caregiver was repeatedly letting her cat drop into hypoglycemic numbers, to see if that triggered remission for her kitty. (I think her situation was quite unusual though. The other FDMB members on the trial didn't have anything like that at all. ) ...So just be sure that you are comfortable with what the RVC vets suggest for Simba. :bighug:

4. portana

portana Member

I think I'll wait. We will be given it on Wednesday. Thanks :)

5. portana

portana Member

All but testing strips which are the most expensive but you're right. They will provide insulin, syringes and DM food for a year which is great :)

So good to know! Anyone I may be able to speak with?

They are testing a new drug here (monthly injection) but we might get the placebo, we won't know. They won't be experimenting with insulin, that will be given as normal. I'm quite excited about it :)

6. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

I think Cassandra has been posting recently again... I'll tag her for you @SweetAngel but if she doesn't see that tag you could try messaging her (she may well get an email notification of that). :)

Edited to add: I'm being daft. (Coffee deficiency, maybe...) I can send her a Facebook message. Doh!!! :facepalm:

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
    portana and Yong & Maury GA like this.
  7. portana

portana Member

Thank you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.