Where is a good place to buy sub-q fluids?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by cornad, Sep 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cornad

cornad Member

Does anyone know of a good website to purchase lactated ringers and the needles?

Thanks in advance!

Corinne

2. Cheryl and Winnie

Cheryl and Winnie Well-Known Member

3. OptOut

OptOut Well-Known Member

I bought a case (12 bags) of LRS at Walmart for about $30. I bought the set-ups and needles @ ThrivingPets.com

4. Deanie and Boo (GA) and Scout

Deanie and Boo (GA) and Scout Well-Known Member

Check with your vet to see if they will price match. My vet lets clients order bulk fluids. I paid $85 for a case of fluids, the lines and a box of 100 needles. That's right in the same price range if I ordered it online. It's also much easier to pick it up at the clinic instead of waiting for it to be shipped to me.

5. cornad

cornad Member

Thank you so much for the responses.

What kind of IV set is used? I know its a 18g needle.

I think it would be easier to order online because I don't drive, I would have to lug the fluids and supplies on the train and bus.

6. Patti and Merlin

Patti and Merlin Member

I've also used KV vet on line. For me it's been the best deal with delivery to our small town and price.

7. Happycats

Happycats Member

I get case of 24 B BRaun DEHP 500 ml bags at Rite Aid. They have to special order it which only takes a day.
    I get B Braun, also DEHP free, IV sets at Thriving Pets. You can get Terumo needles also at Thriving Pets or Brico Med Supplies. Brico does not carry B Braun anymore or the DEHP free set which is why I buy from different places.

8. Cheryl and Winnie

if you order the terumo needles -- they are thin walled and a 20 g will run like an 18g of another brand of needles. ( that's what brico carries. ) They are much more comfortable for your cat.

I don't drive either and find brico to ship very fast.
    The iv sets are listed on the ordering page -- some have injection ports if you are adding vits or other meds to the fluids. There are also some different lengths available. I use what would work best with the height of my ceiling fan ( where I hung the bag ;-) )
    If you are still unsure when you look at the order form. Call . I have talked to brico in the past and they are very nice and are very familiar with kitties getting fluids.

9. cornad

cornad Member

I'm a little ashamed to admit that I am confused, especially with the abbreviations.

DEHP Free means what exactly? Also, is $50 for 12 a good price? I'm not sure.. I mean it is better than what the vet charges which was $25 for 1, 1000mL bag, IV set, and needles.

I want to make sure I get this right before ordering!

10. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

DEHP is some kind of plastic softener. It makes the bags flexible.

There is some evidence that DEHP is carcinogenic.
    Therefore some folks prefer to avoid it.

I was getting 12 1000ml bags of LRS from WalMart for around $25 plus tax.
    (In Washington state, prescriptions for humans are not taxed, but prescriptions
    for animals are taxed...unless the pharmacist forgets...which was most of the time !).

So while $50 for 12 bags is not the BEST price, it is a good price.
    Sometimes shipping can be more than the price of the fluids.
    Getting it locally is usually cheaper.

At most local places it is not stocked and is special order, but usually comes within
    a day or two.

Get your vet to write a prescription for 12 1000ml bags of LRS (or Saline, or whatever vet
    wants your kitty to have). 12 1000ml bags or 12 500 ml bags...that is a case. I found
    that WalMart would not sell it except by the case.

Get the NDC number off the bag you are currently using, and
    take that with you when you present the prescription to the pharmacy.
    The pharmacist may not be familiar with it and the NDC number will help them
    find it to order from their supplier. Very little call for fluids for humans.

11. Cheryl and Winnie

if you are looking at the brico page ( cause i know you said you didn't drive and that ordering and having delivered would be much better for you ) the 49/case includes the shipping. --17.50 of that is shipping (east coast you are in NY right? ) they are very heavy ,so yes that is a very good price and comparable to what others are paying w/o the ship cost.
    the needles and iv sets are extra of course.( but no extra ship charges if ordered w/ fluids) and i have found very reasonable. If you are in a different part of the country , ordering from somewhere in that region that delivers would obviously be better.
    and of course, if someone can drive , then local pharm order and pickup is going save on those ship charges.

12. chriscleo

chriscleo Well-Known Member

for LRs, if you're a costco member and get one of their discount cards (get it right at the pharmacy), it's just about $13 for a case of lactated ringers.
    thrivingpets.com has a great price for the 20gauge terumo needles.
    forget where i got cheaper IV sets. probably on ebay tho if your vet will write a prescription you can get them online thru medical supply sites for pretty cheap.

13. cornad

cornad Member

I'm sorry for the delay and all the questions.

I need a prescription from the vet for fluids?

Sorry for my ignorance. :?

14. chriscleo

chriscleo Well-Known Member

yes, you need a prescription for fluids

15. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

Yes....if you want to purchase a case at a time, be sure the vet writes it as
    quantity 12 1000ml LRS (or Saline, or whatever you are using).

Then take one of the bags you are currently using to the pharmacy with you
    so they can get the number off it.

16. Gator & H (GA)

Gator & H (GA) Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.