? Where is cat range for human glucometer please

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Misterbeesmom, Jun 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Misterbeesmom

Misterbeesmom Well-Known Member

i am sure there is a chart on this site somewhere but i cant find it. Can someone direct me?

We switched from the AT2 today and started Relion Micro but now my frame of reference is off, lol.

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

40-120 mg/dL if off insulin
    50-120 mg/dL if on insulin - a little higher on the low end for safety; also, some cats show symptoms of hypoglycemia earlier than others.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
    Misterbeesmom likes this.
  3. Jan Radar (GA)

Jan Radar (GA) Well-Known Member

I was confused too when I switched from the AT2 to a human meter. It will be very important to indicate this switch on your spreadsheet @Marje and Gracie helped me fix mine and I'm certain she will be able to help you fix yours too. After I made the switch on my spreadsheet it was pretty easy to wrap my mind around the numbers because the ss color codes them.

Misterbeesmom likes this.
  4. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

It's actually 50-120 on a human meter although some cats will run lower off insulin.

If you need help converting the SS, I can do it for you as it has to be reformatted. Pls just send me a private message.

Marlena likes this.
  5. Marlena

Marlena Well-Known Member

Marje,
    sorry maybe a silly question but do I need to reformat my SS every time I change from human meter to pet meter or vice versa? A bit confused here.

6. Marje and Gracie

Why would you want to switch back and forth? We usually recommend you pick one meter and stick to it.

I also have an AT but Gracie's SS is based on her human meter. When she was running low, I'd check it with the AT as well and record it on a separate tab on her SS (AT/Micro comparison).

If you are using both meters intchangeably and recording them on the SS, you aren't going to get the correct colors to populate. At the lower range, the formatting is set up for either a pet or human meter whichever one you are using. If you are using both concurrently or switching back and forth, the formatting won't be correct for one of them.

Again, best advice.....pick one and stick with it. If you decide to use a human meter, I can modify the SS. I can even set up a tab for you for comparisons of the two.

Marlena likes this.
  7. Marlena

Thanks Marje,
    when I started with Rocky's SS I was using a human meter and some kind soul help me to set up SS. Then I swapped the meters and started using a pet meter and I made a clear note of that on Rocky's SS. Nobody then mention anything about reformatting the SS.
    So thank you very much for your advice regarding sticking to one particular type of meter, it makes sense but the reason I changed the meters was that I had a few human meters and test strips for free so I could use them for testing and my results were so unpredictable that I could not rely on general advice as with regards to human meters. So I decided to use pet meter as I wanted to have most reliable results but then realised that most of the advice given here is based on measurements on human meter which complicated things for me a lot.
    Could you please tell me if Rocky's SS is formatted correctly or not as I'm confused.
    Many thanks for your help.

8. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

The FDMB spreadsheets use conditional formatting to do the color coding on cells with single entries in the spreadsheet.
    If you want to look at these, when you have spreadsheet up for data entry, you can right click on the cell and select conditional formatting. A panel will open on the right to show you the criteria used to do the color coding.
    Use escape to exit without changing anything!

Note: the paint roller icon can be used to copy and paint formats over large blocks of cells at a time. You need to be careful to put those conditional formats only where you want them.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
  9. Marje and Gracie

It’s formatted for a human meter, not a pet one. It’s easy enough for me to go back to where you switched to a pet meter and reformat it. You would just have to allow me editing rights and so that info is best exchanged in a private message. I’m happy to do it for you.....I’ve done several.

She would have to do every cell that needed to be changed individually. It’s easier to just reformat for the pet meter and then she doesn’t have to worry about changing the color coding for individual cells unless she adds text.

Marlena likes this.
  10. Marlena

Thank you so much.
    Could we do it tomorrow please as it gets late for me now.
    Best regards

11. Katie&Kirby

Katie&Kirby Member

OMG! I looked at the spreadsheets and have NO IDEA what I am looking at. My cat,Kirby was diagnosed on June 17th with diabetes. I have all the supplies for a human, my Dad gave them to me. Kirby is on PZI, but I can't afford it as I'm on disability with a fixed income. So the vet says she will work with me, after the PZI we are switching to Novolin N. He's currently on just 2 units, was fine all day until now. He's laying on the bathroom floor, he never does that. I wasn't able to get blood this morning. I have just been keeping a copybook with his times, glucose readings, and any notes. This is all new to me, I'm scared! I can't lose my boy. He's quite lethargic right now. I am going to try to get a sample now to see what's up. Any tips or info would be much appreciated!!!

12. Misterbeesmom

Katie how is your kitty doing? Can you call your vet? I suggest you start a new thread so people will attend to you better.

13. Katie&Kirby

Katie&Kirby Member

I just posted in the help forum. Hoping for any tips or info I should know using the human glucometer. He's doing ok today. Couldn't get blood sample this morning...will do soon, before his insulin. Vet has him on just 2 units.

14. Katie&Kirby

Katie&Kirby Member

What does"a little higher on the low end" mean?

15. Katie&Kirby

Katie&Kirby Member

I don't even know what a spreadsheet is. Oh please help. Just took blood...166. Will feed & do 2 units at 10 pm.

16. Katie&Kirby

Katie&Kirby Member

I'm using a tablet...it's all I have besides my phone.

17. Misterbeesmom

You can use google sheets app. Thats what i use primarily for recording on my ss. (Ipad)

18. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

It means we use 50 mg/dL, not 40 mg/dL, as the cutoff for when to intervene to bring the glucose back up. Meters in the US are allowed to read +/- 20% different from what a lab would get and 20% lower than 50 mg/dL is 40 mg/dL. Below that is hypoglycemia and going that low may cause seizures and death.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.