? where is info about weaning off insulin

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by dhtk, Mar 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dhtk

dhtk New Member

HI cannot find the weaning off info (lantus).. Kitty has been doing well now and is a week on .25 u. can I take her off completely now? ty

2. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

Here's the Lantus sticky on (among other things) very small doses:

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...insulin-info-handling-drawing-fine-doses.151/

There are a few steps below 0.25 that you can go (depending on your eyesight). The general advice is to keep up the insulin support as long as possible in order to get the strongest possible remission. Cutie is looking pretty darn good, but since she's still showing a habit of popping up above 120 when she has a skipped shot, she may need a bit more support. See if you can comfortably give a dose of 0.1U or the "whisper of insulin" dose (squeeze plunger of syringe as hard as possible, insert into vial, let go to draw up a single drop of insulin into the resulting vacuum) twice a day for a little longer. But she's looking good!!!!!

3. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

That is nice to know!

Hope you get another remission from Cutie:cat:

4. dhtk

dhtk New Member

actually, began using the accu check strips and meter recently. so the numbers are higher than the relion comfort by about 25-30 points in the lower ranges. SO, a 110 on the accucheck meter is around a 80 on the relion comfort. and to really confuse it a 110 reading on the accu check meter is around a 160 on the alpha trak2 meter. So, I figure cutie is doing fairly well. This second time Cutie has been on insulin for about 13-14 months. The first time she was only on insulin for a month and I believe I took her off too soon, therefore, it has been much longer this second time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.