Where is the best place to buy U40 syringes with half marks?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Debbie & Mishka, Mar 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Debbie & Mishka

Debbie & Mishka Member

Vet wanted me to dose at 1U and I've been dosing at 0.5. I know I shouldn't be doing it this way, but I'm "eyeballing" halfway between 1 and 0. I need to buy U40 with half marks -- any suggestions where to buy? And which brand? Thanks

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Many US folks order from adwdiabetes.com. They're available there.

3. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Many of us also use U100 syringes in order to make very small dose changes with greater accuracy. If you do that, they have to be used with this conversion chart. http://www.felinediabetes.com/insulin-conversions.htm

And maybe don't mention it to your vet - mine is pretty laid back about letting me manage all of this, but I did get some side eye when I told him I was dosing 2.2 at one point ;)

Magic Johnson and Kris & Teasel like this.
  4. Helena and Gandalf

Helena and Gandalf Member

I donĀ“t know if this will affect other countries, I also do not know the level of truth in this. There was a recent post in our Swedish FD Facebook group. There was a lady who had trouble finding the U-40 1/2U syringes and went to every pharmacy in her area looking for them. Here in Sweden a pharmacy is obliged to take home what you need if you have a prescription for it. According to the lady none of the pharmacies in the area could order the syringes for her. After investigation she was told that this is because they are stopping the production since U-40 insulins are uncommon for humans and they are not selling enough syringes to keep making them. This is the BD microfine brand. All prozinc users here are currently very worried. :( I haven't heard of cats being prescribed other brands of syringes here in Sweden, and I have no idea if it would be possible to obtain other brands from another country (but I'm guessing no since I am pretty sure we need prescriptions for them). Just wanted to mention this in case anyone else is having trouble finding them like we are in Sweden.
    But then again, I was told last summer by a pharmacy that they were not able to take home Prozinc anymore it was being discontinued, it had been around for ages and no one wanted to use it anymore. o_O Luckily one of Boehringer-Ingelheims product developers was a member in our FD-group and informed us it was not true. So again not certain of the level of truth here.

Debbie & Mishka likes this.
  5. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

6. Debbie & Mishka

Debbie & Mishka Member

Thanks Djamila -- yeah, I don't know what my vet will think. He pretty much thinks right now that I'm dosing at 1U, and maybe I should be, but Mishka's number are all pretty much in the blue. I have no one to watch him during the day, so afraid of hypo. I guess I'm being conservative. Thought if I got the U40 with 1/2 marks, I'd be able to see what 0.75 dosing does.

7. Debbie & Mishka

Debbie & Mishka Member

Thanks K :)

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  8. Debbie & Mishka

Debbie & Mishka Member

9. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Depends on the state. In nj where I live I do. So I have my vets info, THEY contact the vet and get the ok and send them out. BTW I also order cheap 28 gauge lancets through them for 1.19. And alphatrak 2 strips which I see you use. Before placing the order go to Retailmenot.com and get a discount coupon. Missu10 is the one I usually use for 10% off $89 order.

10. Debbie & Mishka

Debbie & Mishka Member

Thanks for the advice :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.