? Where is the sticky regarding the no-dose number?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Misterbeesmom, Aug 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Misterbeesmom

Misterbeesmom Well-Known Member

i dot know why i always have trouble finding what i want in the stickies LOL

I know the no-dose number is 150 but where is that sticky?

And just to clarify, if it is +12 and my cat is 151, i can dose him? I should know this by now!

2. Gussie's mom (GA)

Gussie's mom (GA) Well-Known Member

Is this what you are looking for?
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...regulation-shooting-handling-low-numbers.147/
    New members without much data collected, but are following the TR Protocol in the Lantus and Levemir Insulin Support Group should ask for guidance when presented with a preshot number less than 150 mg/dL. Once you've collected data to support your decisions, the TR "no shoot" number is 50 mg/dL.
    I'm too new to give advice but hope this is what you were referring to!:bighug:

3. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

With new members following TR, we encourage you to post and ask for help if you have a pre-shot below 150. If you're following SLGS, you should ask for help with a pre-shot below 200. However, you're not new at this any more. Ideally, regardless of the approach, you want to get comfortable with shooting progressively lower numbers.

4. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

Do you have this thread, "Where Can I Find?" bookmarked? It can help you find your way around the stickies. The one that discusses what to do with a lower preshot is the one on shooting and handling low numbers. There is a link there on shooting low although it was written for someone following SLGS. With SLGS the no shoot number is 90. Since you are following Tight Reg guidelines, your no shoot number would be 50 on a human meter. Practice shooting lower and lower until you're at that point if you want to get control of Mr. Biddle's BGs and have him flatten out. Always waiting for his blood sugar to be rising will make it harder for you to get his blood sugar to flatten out, which is what depot insulins are really great at.

5. Misterbeesmom

Misterbeesmom Well-Known Member

Generally speaking, again i cant find this in the stickies, as long as the preshot is over 150 and not SLGS, it is ok to dose, right? You dont then need to retest to see if BG is rising or not?

6. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, you can't count on a preshot number to tell you what's going to happen in the rest of the cycle. Sienne's cat, Gabby, was one who was regularly 400 at preshot and could get to 40 by +3, then be back up to 400 at the next preshot. That's not all that unusual, either, there are other kitties like that as well.

There is no number that would make me feel confident enough to say I didn't need to test again during that cycle UNLESS Punkin was beginning a bounce and I knew from experience that his bounce would last at least x many hours. That was the only time I felt confident not testing during a cycle, and honestly, even then I would test at least once to make sure he hadn't fooled me and started clearing the bounce sooner.

7. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

The information on "no shot" numbers is in the sticky either for the TR Protocol or the SLGS method, depending on which you're using. However, the ultimate goal is for you to be able to shoot progressively lower numbers regardless of which dosing method you're using.

It's OK to shoot a dropping number providing you're comfortable doing so and feel confident in using HC to steer the numbers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.