Where on the Body to shoot & a few other questions.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Nicole & Baby, Jan 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

Baby began Insulin & has now had 3 doses - the scruff is working for us. I saw the picture of places we can shoot, is rotating OK?

2. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA Well-Known Member

Re: Where on the Body to shoot?

As far as I know, rotating is recommended. I also have read that the scruff is the least desirable since the absorption is less predictable there. We stay away from the scruff. I'll be interested to see what others have to say, though.

3. Nicole & Baby

Re: Where on the Body to shoot?

Lantus is cold when I shoot too (straight from the refrigerator - does that sting or bother?)
    Also, I don't hold the pen upside down like a vile - I handle it very gently - just laying it on the counter & filling my sryinge - is this ok?

4. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Rotating is good, a little to the left, a little to the right for the next shot, then back to the center for the next one.

Never had issues with lantus being too cold, just don't store it at the very back of the fridge where it is the coldest.
    And don't warm it up, by the time you're ready to shoot, it shouldn't be too cold.

5. Sarah and Buzz

Sarah and Buzz Well-Known Member

When I first started injections, vet told me to use the scruff and to rotate the location of the shots within the scruff. I then did some research and found that the scruff is not the best place to shoot, due to the absorption issue that Lydia mentioned. So I tried to shoot her in the flank, as shown here: http://www.bd.com/us/diabetes/page.aspx ... 01&id=7374

Words cannot convey how badly that attempt failed. ;) Buzz was having NONE of it, despite trying numerous approaches and sticking methods. When we shot her in the scruff, she didn't even notice. We had been having no absorption issues that we could tell, so we went back to the scruff and that's how we've done it ever since.

I would say if you can use a different location, go for it, or if you have reason to think that Baby is having problems with absorption. Otherwise, I say go with what works. :)

6. Nicole & Baby

Sarah, I agree with you. In fact, the Vets give injections in the Scruff & from Baby's short time on Insulin - it is working, so I will stick with rotating areas of the scruff, she does not even notice it. The last thing she or I need right now is extra stress ;-) Once we have that mastered, we can begin creativity if need be!

7. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

8. Nicole & Baby

I will TRY to inject the flank for our PM shot.. I looked at the pictures..but want to confirm..it is the "meaty" part right before the leg? She will be sitting/laying down how they do..not on all 4s. What if I shoot what I think is the Flank & isn't? Can damage be done?

9. Jeanne and Scratchy (GA)

Jeanne and Scratchy (GA) Member

According to that BD site, I'm injecting in the side of the chest-just a little bit of flabby skin Scratchy has by his front legs. It works really well for us. Honestly though, if I were just starting out, I'd stick with whatever location is easiest, and then start experimenting with different locations once I felt more comfortable.

10. Sarah and Buzz

Sarah and Buzz Well-Known Member

That definitely sounds like the way to go. :)

As to your question of whether or not damage could be done, I am not sure. My knowledge of anatomy is pitiful, and TBH, I don't even know what organs are where. ;) Insulin needles are pretty darn short, so I would imagine the possibility is unlikely, but again, I can't say for certain.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.