Where should I buy Lantus?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Deb and Pepper, Dec 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deb and Pepper

Deb and Pepper Member

My kitty has been on Lantus for 6 months now, using the same vial. His sugar numbers have been going up for the last week, so I am thinking the insulin is getting weak. After checking with my local pharmacies, I am hoping someone can give me some place to go for it that isn't $150 a vial that the pharmacies want.

2. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

I've found the best price at Costco. You can use the pharmacy even if you are not a member, but you get an extra discount if you are. It might be enough to make membership worth while if you don't belong. I know some order from Canada, Roni and Moonie & Ella and Rusty, you could see where they order from. I'd worry about freezing in the winter though.

3. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Most of us don't buy the vials -- we buy the pens. There are a couple of advantages of the pens. While a box of 5 pens is more expensive than the vial (retail is around $200), you get more insulin. (Each pen is 3 ml x 5 = 15 ml vs. 10 ml in the vial.) Because there is less insulin in the pen, if your insulin goes bad, there is less waste. Also, if you drop a pen or the pen is somehow damaged, you don't lose all of your insulin -- just 3 ml at the most. Overall, it turns out to be more cost effective.

If you call around to hospital pharmacies, they may be willing to sell single pens.

If you have a prescription for the vial and want the pens, you'll need to get a new prescription.

4. Deb and Pepper

Deb and Pepper Member

So do the pens go down to 1/4 unit doses? My Pepper is down to a 1/4U dose 2 times a day.

5. mybuddybinks

mybuddybinks Well-Known Member

when you use the pen...you draw the insulin out of it with a syringe rather than using the injection attachment...

(it has a rubber flange tip)

so 1/4 unit doses are the same as with a vial :D

celi

6. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

That will often confuse the vets and the pharmacist too. I had to take a pen in to get them to understand. Don't let the pharmacy sell you the needles for the pens, tell them you are using it like a mini vial.

7. Deb and Pepper

Deb and Pepper Member

Then those would be GREAT! I still have about 1/3 of a vial left after 6 months, so I'm going to waste a LOT of it. Sounds like the pens would be a better deal all around.

8. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

google for a solostar pen coupon - there was one for $25 off on the lantus.com site when i got my first pen. i get one pen at a time, which is $41ish at a Save-On pharmacy. Some places will sell one pen at a time, some won't. i had to call around to find one that would.

take a look at this sticky: Lantus & Levemir, Info, Proper Handling & Storage for how to use the pen like a mini-vial.

9. Amanda

Amanda Member

I had the best luck with a small pharmacy inside of a clinic nearby - Costco, Sams, Walgreens and CVS all refused to sell a single pen. I pay around $53 a pen & usually get around 3 months out of it before replacing. I imagine its cheaper to buy the 5 pack of pens but I figure if we have a power outage, fridge failure etc. its better to lose 1 pen than 5!

10. mybuddybinks

mybuddybinks Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.