Where should I post a question about transitioning from Prozinc to Levemir

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by milosmommy, Jan 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. milosmommy

milosmommy Member

I wasn't sure which area to post in Prozinc or Levemir.
    If someone can tell me where to post I will ask my detailed questions there.
    Short version Milo currently on Prozinc and we are switching to Levemir.

Thanks

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

I'd post on the Lantus/Levemir forum and specifically ask for people who use Levemir. We've had two people who switched 6 months or so ago, from PZI to Lantus, but not to Levwmir. They act similar but there are differences.

KPassa and milosmommy like this.
  3. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

You'll want read over the stickies about Tight Regulation and Start Low, Go Slow.
    What is Milo's current weight?
    What is Milo's ideal weight?
    Take the lower of these.
    Convert it to kilos (pounds/2.2), if needed.
    Multiply by 0.25.
    Round down.
    That would be a starting dose for Lantus, and similar to Levemir.
    Compare that to your current dose of ProZinc.
    Which is higher?
    You could split the difference.
    Know that it may take 5-7 days on the first dose to stabilize, due to the depot. Take your time.

milosmommy likes this.
  4. milosmommy

milosmommy Member

Thanks BJM. I did math and posted in my post in Lantus levemir forum.
    It worked out to 1.2. Someone there said some reduce by 30 percent so that is .90. Vet said 1U which is about middle of those. Currently with Prozinc he is averaging 3U to 3.6U daily.

5. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

I think I'd probably split the difference and go with 1.5 units. If you're testing around nadir, you'll spot by day 3ish to 5ish or so if he's starting to come down then and can, if needed, back off.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
  6. milosmommy

milosmommy Member

Thanks BJM.

7. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

Typically Lantus and Levemir have different shaped curves...Lantus like a smiley face where they start out higher, dip down in the middle and then rise again by next preshot, Levemir it's more bell shaped where they start out in lower numbers, rise until +4-+5ish and then drop towards their next preshot with little to no rising at the next preshot. Autumn is a lev girl and she tends to have her nadir and her preshot value very close to the same time frame.

Mel and The Fur Gang

KPassa and milosmommy like this.
  8. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

And, if you didn't already know, you'll have to ignore most of what you've learned regarding dosing with ProZinc. Since Levemir is a depot insulin, dose changes are based on nadir much more so than pre-shot (i.e. Once you know it's safe to do so, you can give a full dose with a 50 pre-shot) and dosing changes are made at a minimum of 3 days apart with the initial starting dose being held for 5-7 days.

9. milosmommy

milosmommy Member

Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.