Where to Buy Cat's prescriptions???

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by oreosmom, May 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oreosmom

oreosmom Member

Hello,

We are choking on the cost of our cat Oreo's cancer and diabetes medications!!! We live in San Diego, CA and are retired military. We thought about going to Tijuana, but we are afraid the medication wouldn't be the same thing or safe. Does anyone know? If anyone has any suggestions It would be appreciated.

Warm regards,

Carol....Oreo's Mom

2. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

fwiw, we used to go to mexico all the time to buy meds, for both my mother and ourselves, and we never had a problem with any of them. when we first started doing it her doctor even checked out the meds just in case and he gave the ok for them. we did that for probably at least 5 years until the medicare prescription coverage thingy kicked in. we haven't been down there in a few years now since we don't need to buy hers anymore and what we use isn't worth the drive but if i were hit with big expenses for meds again i would do it again in a heartbeat.

we always found one particular pharmacy to be good, clean, well priced, etc...... i can't tell you the name of it but i can kinda describe how to get there. we would always drive down, park on this side, and walk across the border. you go thru the gate at the border, walk down just a little bit, take a right, and go thru a set of spinning gate things. straight across the street from those spinning gates, sitting right on the corner is a pharmacy. that's the one we used more than any others. they always had what we needed and like i said, it was very clean and well priced. if i remember correctly all the employees are dressed in all white.

unless things have changed in the last 5 years or so, anything non-narcotic you can bring back across the border easily. i think you can get 6 months without a prescription for non-narcotic, a year's worth with a prescription. when they asked me if i was bringing anything back, i told them medicine. they would ask what for and i would just reply "blood pressure and diabetes" and they'd wave me on thru.

and take your passport :)

on a little bit of a different note, what meds are you needing? and are you getting them from the vet or from a local pharmacy? i get all of my cats' meds at walmart for instance because they are the same drugs humans take, just cut into smaller portions. and this may be totally out there, but is there any way to get them thru the VA?

and what insulin are you guys using? maybe see if DCIN can help with the insulin at all?

3. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

I know several members order form Canada too. PM Ella & Rusty or Roni & Moonie, they usually hang out in the Lantus TR forum. Locally I've gotten the best prices at Costco. For non drug supplies, strips, lancets, etc., go to American Diabetes Warehouse (ADW). Link to them through the "Shop" button in the header and FDMB gets a commission for operating costs. No extra cost to you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.