Where to buy FortiFlora?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by laurabe, Jan 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. laurabe

laurabe New Member

my cat won't eat canned food and can't wait several days to receive it by mail since he has only been eating about a teaspoon per day, I'm worried about ketones, low glucose, dehydration, etc....

Is there a store that sells this?

2. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

A vet's office may have it on hand but I don't think I've ever seen it locally.

Have you tried warming the food in the microwave to bring out the scent? Parmesan cheese sprinkled on food might help. Some catnip sprinkled on food could help.

3. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

I was getting mine for Smokey from Pet Nutrition Products. petnutritionproducts.com.

That was some years ago, so I don't know if they are still around.

You can try a Google search on "Forti Flora" and see what comes up.

4. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

Have you tried sprinkling crushed up treats on top of the canned food? Catnip on canned food? A little grated cheese or stinky tuna juice? A *little* gravy from a gravy-based canned food on top of the low can canned? Plain cooked chicken with the cooking water? can you water down the canned food and syringe feed is necessary? Use an oral syringe, not an insulin syringe. An oral syringe has a blunt rounded tip, no needle attached. Pet stores sell these as kitten/puppy feeding syringes.

Can you feed dry food until you get some FortiFlora? It's not ideal but your cat needs to eat to prevent fatty liver disease from developing.

5. Karen & Angus(GA)

Karen & Angus(GA) Member

FortiFlora is NOT a prescription-only product. You can buy it from amazon.com, petfooddirect.com, entirelypets.com, and probably many others. My local natural pet foods store also carries it. I have been buying it from entirelypets.com for a couple of years (my civie, Minou, has IBD). It is made by the veterinary diets division of Purina, which may be where the confusion comes from.

6. Barbara

Barbara Well-Known Member

Getting him to eat anything is the most important thing right now. If he was eating dry before just give it back to him. You can slowly work on getting him to eat the canned. I ordered the Forti Flora from Amazon, I think at the time it was the cheapest place & if you order 25.00 you get free shipping. Have you seen the info on Dr Lisa's site about transitioning to wet food? Here's the link

http://www.catinfo.org/

7. laurabe

laurabe New Member

thanks everyone.
    I had to order it off amazon since no stores have it.
    I did find a can food that he likes...fancy feast seafood classic.
    he just doesn't know how to eat it though lol, just licks it.

8. ohbell

ohbell Well-Known Member

I called several vet offices before I found one that sold them by the eaches. No one else sells here that I found but a vets. I was like you, my Civvie Slappy just stopped eating and I needed something fast... I tried all of the other tricks, and she would have no part of it. I finally had someone from this forum that was in my area come over and help me burrito wrap her and we used a dropper as I could not get the syringe thingy to work. I had help for almost a full week. We would blend babyfood - meat only with some tuna water and use a dropper. That is the ONLY thing I could find that would help. Then after that, I used the fora flora to intice... It worked.
    Main thing, he must eat even if you have to help. I found that the 'magic bullet' worked the best for pureeing the food enough for the dropper. I found the bullet thru craigslist.
    Keep us posted as to his condition - sending 'lets eat' vibes your way!

9. Alpandia

Alpandia Member

I buy mine from PetFoodDirect, or Amazon (but typically that's the PetFoodDirect folks, too). Way cheaper than my local vet's office.

-Stacy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.