Where to buy supplies?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by hhalliday, Feb 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hhalliday

hhalliday New Member

Can someone tell me the best/cheapest place to buy lancets and test strips for the Alpha Trak glucose monitor? I originally bought it from the vet.

Thanks!
    Heather

2. arozeboom

arozeboom Well-Known Member

I bought my first box of strips from Amazon. After that I bought them from American Diabetes Wholesale (If you click the "Shop" button up top, there is a link there). There really isn't any cheap way to get them. ADW ships fast and I like that.

I don't like the Alpha lancets so I just use a Relion that I picked up at Walmart. The lancets are about $4 for a box of 100.

3. Julia & Bandit (GA)

Julia & Bandit (GA) Well-Known Member

I know you can get them from American Diabetes Wholesale, but I'm not sure if there's a cheaper place.

Have you thought about switching to a human glucometer? The strips are far cheaper than for the alphatrak. For what you're using the meter for, the pet meter is not necessary--the dosing protocols are all written for human meters. To give you an idea of how much cheaper it is, you can get the Arkray Glucocard + 200 strips (the same meter as Walmart's Relion Confirm but without the Relion name) from American Diabetes Wholesale for less than what you'll pay for 50 alphatrak strips: http://www.americandiabeteswholesal...onitoring-kit-blue_4036.htm?source=SiteSearch

4. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

The problem with pet blood glucose meters is that you can't buy the supplies at a store :-Q Not a good thing if your cat is hypoing and you must test frequently but are down to the last few test strips :shock:

Most people here use a Human blood glucose meter. Test strips and lancets generally cost less than pet specific ones. Some people do keep a pet meter on hand as a back up and regularly check their supplies to make sure nothing has expired. You can run into any pharmacy and buy test strips or lancets, even in the middle of the night if you have a 24 hour pharmacy nearby. Unless your meter is store-specific, like the Relion which is only sold at Wal Mart, your local pharmacy will have all the big name brands of blood glucose meter and matching test strips and lancets.

5. arozeboom

arozeboom Well-Known Member

I use the Alpha because that's what my vet uses in the office but ultimately because its my choice.

I have a Relion Micro that I use for backup. Just the other day I though the Alpha was throwing some weird results so I tested Ruby with both for a few hours, just to make sure I have a better idea what was happening.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.