Where to get prescriptions cheaper than @ the vet?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Traci and Boomer, Mar 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Traci and Boomer

Traci and Boomer Well-Known Member

Hi Everyone-

I'm posting this question for my DBF Dave, who's pooch Princess is on dibenzyline for high blood pressure. He's currently paying $4 a pill and has to give her two a day. $$$$$
    Does anyone know of a place that he could get the pills that is less expensive? he checked Forster and Smith and they don't have it. It seems that the most well known sites only have very common pills like Pred for example.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

2. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

have you tried walmart or one of the other stores with that $4 prescription list?

just have the vet write out or call a script into walmart pharmacy and if they carry it, it might be cheaper. i've gotten a lot of my kitty's meds at walmart for $4-$10 a script. like Jr's prozac cost around $8 for 2 months worth if i remember correctly

3. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

Is this a human medication?

Could try a human pharmacy - would probably need a written prescription though

4. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

5. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

When getting one of the $4 (1 month) or $10 (3 month) Rx's at places like WalMart,
    it is important to have the vet write the Rx for the correct quantity.

For example, Call WalMart and ask what quantity of pills the vet should write for the
    prescription to get the best rate. Sometimes 30 for a 'month'...sometimes 28, etc.

I also liked The Medicine Man Pharmacy.

I called them and found out what the size of the bottle is that comes from the manufacturer.

For example, prednisolone is cheapest from them in quantities of 100 (unopened bottle). They
    do not have to open the bottle and count out the pills, put into another container, etc.

I always got good prices from The Medicine Man, but it is important to phone them first and
    talk to a pharmacist about what you need and get the details of how the vet should write the Rx.

The Medicine Man Pharmacy toll free: 1-877-666-2501.

And, their shipping is reasonable.

6. Traci and Boomer

Traci and Boomer Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone! Gosh, this place is my one stop shop for all pet issues! Love it.

7. JJ & Gwyn

JJ & Gwyn Member

If Walmart doesn't carry it under their $4 prescription plan, check with other pharmacies that also have those type of plans; most of them have slightly different formularies (types / strengths of drugs available).

Also, check warehouse clubs for their prices; at least in the US, the pharmacies in warehouse clubs have to be open to the general public, regardless of whether you're a member or not. When Gwyn had to go on ... I think it was Norvasc, a few years ago, I was calling around and getting quotes ranging from $150 to $215 for 90 generic pills. After calling every other pharmacy and warehouse club in the area with no success, I tried calling the Sam's Club (which I hadn't tried earlier because it was rather farther than I would have liked to have driven). They quoted me a price of $26 for 90 generic pills. I had the pharmacist double-check that he was checking for the right item, and then he had a second pharmacist treble-check *his* work, but it was still $26. Needless to say, I headed over there immediately, before they could change their mind ;)

8. Maggies Mom Debby

Maggies Mom Debby Well-Known Member

It looks like it's a human drug, so you can get it from a regular pharmacy with a RX.

Many pharmacy chains have prescription drug savings cards. If you are a AAA member, they have a prescription drug savings card that can be printed from their website. (It sometimes didn't save anything, but it helped on some things).

Also look for gift cards or discounts for new or transfered prescriptions. I moved Maggie's Levemir RX from place to place in order to get $20 (or more) gift cards with each move.

9. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

If you are in the US, you can use a free prescription drug card to get your medicine (or cat's medicine) for a little less at the pharmacy.

http://www.felinediabetes.com/phorum5/r ... ?8,1946184

10. Mal and Tubby (GA)

Mal and Tubby (GA) Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.