Where to get test strips

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by SaraM2261, Dec 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SaraM2261

SaraM2261 Member

I have a relion ultra meter and I know someone said something about ordering them online or getting them on ebay? What do I need to watch for? Do they expire? Bad lots? Tips and links very much appreciated!

Thanks - Sara M

2. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

I order strips for Aviva on eBay. I always look to make sure the boxes are unopened and the expiration date is out there a few months. I don't think expiration matters as much on the ReliOn as the Aviva, but unless you really need to cut costs, why risk it? Make sure when you look at costs, check shipping because it may end up more once shipping is added in than another one where shipping is free. I tend to buy from Buy it Nows because I don't have patience for auctions.

I also read the feedback on the senders to make sure they are sending as advertised and quickly. Don't want someone saying they are unopened or not expired and then sending stuff that is. I've also ran into some sellers who are not prompt in mailing and, since I try to order in the last month so that I can get the best expiration dates possible, I don't want someone dinking around sending the package.

3. Julia & Bandit (GA)

Julia & Bandit (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure you can only get the Relion strips at Walmart. I know the company that manufactures the Relion Confirm also sells the meter without the brand as the Arkray Glucocard and you can buy strips for that online, but I don't think they are compatible, so you would have to get a new meter.

I also have the Aviva, and I buy most of my strips on Amazon (sometimes on Ebay). For that meter, you pay about $50 for 50 strips at the store, but they're only $30 for 50 strips on Amazon, and cheaper than that if you can find a good deal on Ebay. I prefer Amazon because even though I might be paying a little more, I know the strips will arrive quickly and have a far away expiration date.

4. Anne & Zener GA

Anne & Zener GA Well-Known Member

5. Anne & Zener GA

Anne & Zener GA Well-Known Member

6. Sara,
    How much does walmart charge for the strips? The relion micro and confirm use the same strips. At walmart, they are about $20 for 50 strips, and I think around $30 for 100 strips. The meters are $10 or less. It may be worth your while to switch to one of those meters if the strips for the ultra are a lot higher?
    Also, not sure if the Ultra automatically detects the "code" on the batches of strips or if you have to manually change it. Like on the Micro, the strips say F3 or F4 on the box, but the meter detects the batch code and adjusts itself.
    I would figure out how many strips you use in a week or month, and make sure anything you buy on Ebay has an expiration date that will let you use them all up before they expire.
    Carl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.