Where to give insulin?

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by AngieR, Dec 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AngieR

AngieR New Member

My vet suggested the scruff of the neck but I've read that other places might better. Any suggestions on where to give the shot to kitty?

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Hi Angie, not to many folks use this forum. You may get better response posting on Health. How did the curve go today?
    Here is a pic. of alternate injection sites.

INJECTION SITES:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jenn ~ J.J's mom likes this.
  3. AngieR

AngieR New Member

Thank you for the chart! That is super helpful! My vet shaved a path for me but that makes me sad to see. Doesn't bother the cat in the slightest. The curve went well. The vet said that it was a perfect curve exactly where he should be. He was his normal self last night but this morning seemed really really sleepy. I don't know if it was because he was just tired from having a long day at the vet's yesterday or if it was insulin-related. I watched him for a few hours (literally couldn't take my eyes off of him) and after his first nap of the day he woke up like his normal self again!

4. Sharon14

Glad the curve went well and that he's feeling good! I had an area shaved on Colin too at first. The hair grows back pretty quick and once you get used to shooting, you may not need it shaved anymore. Did the vet give you a copy of his BG numbers? How much insulin is he on?

5. AngieR

AngieR New Member

He gets 2 units twice a day. He started the day at 470 and then went down to 210. She said that was a perfect curve.

This has been so stressful for me! I feel like I'm watching him like a hawk and he's just going about being a cat. Totally calm and 100% himself besides just drinking and peeing a lot.

6. Sharon14

In the beginning, I followed Colin everywhere! I still kinda do. It's good that Vilas is responding to the insulin. Are you home testing him yet?

7. AngieR

AngieR New Member

I tried to this morning and failed miserably. I'll try again tonight!

8. Sharon14

Just keep working on it. We all failed a bunch when we started. Good luck!

9. susan k rupel

susan k rupel Member

hi angie my name is susan and i shoot the insulin everywhere because you don't want to use the same spot everyday.hope that helps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.