Where to inject Insulin and not hit muscle etc.

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Cinnie Cole, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Cinnie Cole

Cinnie Cole Member

I have experience doing subcutaneous fluids at the back neck of a cat - so that is where I know I can do it. I am kind of scared to try the other places. Please help.

I looked at the information on the sticky regarding sites to inject Zoot!'s insulin but I am confused. Am I supposed to try to make a tent (like I do at the scruff) in these other sites? It seems likely I would hit muscle there. Does anyone have a photo of how to inject on the side or near the front leg?

Also, since we give him insulin while he is eating, I don't want to screw up trying an unfamiliar spot.

2. Margie and Jackson

Margie and Jackson Member

I’ve been injecting Jackson on his sides anywhere I can tent his skin. He’s underweight so his skin tents in a lot of places. He is also uncomfortable laying on his belly in typical cat position, I think because of neuropathy, so it’s easier to get at his side. The new human needles are so small I never feel like I’m at risk of hitting muscle. I would feel Zoot! all over and pull on his skin and see where it feels loose.

Cinnie Cole likes this.
  3. Cinnie Cole

Cinnie Cole Member

Okay - he is going to get some serious "exploratory petting" tonight. ;)

Susan&Felix(GA) likes this.
  4. Margie and Jackson

Margie and Jackson Member

One thing to add... I read you should stay away from the spine.

5. Cinnie Cole

Cinnie Cole Member

Absolutely. Wont go near it!

6. Amanda and a Loudogg

Amanda and a Loudogg Well-Known Member

I had some issues here and there with tenting. I would get furshots more frequently with that method. I think you can basically dose where ever you can lift the skin. I started in the scruff, but had more issues, and then I went along the sides, and that seemed to work pretty well. I rub along Lou's back and get him to lie on his side for me. I grab a fistful of hair and then rotate my hand so that the palm/fist is facing up with the hair/skin. This lifts up the skin. I just look for the natural hair part and inject there. I found my dosing without furshots improved massively using this method over the tent method. Worth a shot if you're worried about tenting.

Cinnie Cole likes this.