Which Friskies Pates?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Blamethecats and Hannah, Aug 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blamethecats and Hannah

Blamethecats and Hannah Member

Hannah seems to be a little bored with her FF pates and we are thinking about trying the Friskies pates for a change of menu. I know many of you feed Friskies, so which ones do you recommend? I am going shopping this afternoon and hope to come home with something that will please her. Thank you for suggestions.

2. jacereske

jacereske Member

The only one I use is the Mariner's Catch since it has the lowest carbs - 6% (according to the Lisa Pierson food chart). The salmon dinner is 7% and the others are all higher ranging from 8% to 11%.

3. jacereske

jacereske Member

According to the food chart, the Purina One pates are pretty low in carbs too. They may be a bit more expensive though.

4. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Friskies special diets are even lower than pate. I feed the turkey and giblets mainly and beef and chicken some. :)

5. Ms.  Linda

Ms. Linda Member

All of the friskies patés are lower than 10 carbs except for mixed grill-11 and country style dinner- 10
    Friskies Special all lower than 10 carbs except chicken in gravy.
    Friskies flaked tuna in sauce and tuna and egg in sauce have 8 carbs.
    I hope this helps.

6. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Good morning! Just glanced at your spreadsheet. It looks like you are having to skip at night and then you have a high amps in the morning. It would be good to find a dose that allows you to shoot twice daily. How about shooting a .6 on those pink amps and see if she gives you a shootable pmps and then a good amps the next day?

I know you have been switching around between doses and that it is hard to find the ideal one. But skipping really sets her up for a high amps every morning.

7. Blamethecats and Hannah

Good morning, Sue,

I was so pleased to read your advice, this morning. I must be somewhat catching on to this dosing thing, as have been thinking for the past day or two about lowering her AM dose to 0.6 on pink numbers, hoping to make the evening numbers more shootable. Would that apply to red numbers, as well? When I saw your suggestion, I was so relieved and now I dare give it a try. Too late for today, unfortunately, as already gave her 0.8 morning dose. Darn! If this happens again, tonight and tomorrow AM, will do as you suggested. The last two evenings of testing have been very stressful on both Hannie and me... and DH just wants me to go ahead and feed her, as she starts asking for food early in the evening. I keep trying to make him understand (and he does, he just feels sorry for Hannah) that we can't base a shoot on fed numbers, especially when the actual numbers are still dropping, and especially at night when we won't be monitoring so much. Again, thanks for watching over us. I love this message board and all the good folks who reside, here!! Can't imagine where we would be if we hadn't found this place.

8. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Well, I would do .6 on the pinks you are seeing anyway. The fact that she goes 24 hours between shots and still is at 350 means she is doing well (as in not jumping up to 400-500) but we want to get her under that renal threshold most of the time (250-270 and below) so her pancreas can heal.

9. Blamethecats and Hannah

Yes, I keep thinking about those little pancreas and how they might just be trying to heal. And I keep complimenting Hannah on that. :smile: I know that her current morning numbers are lower than sometimes, but still not good enough to put her below the renal threshold. Healing her pancreas is the key to this thing. We will see what she does today and then again, this evening. Probably have another tricky evening in store, but we will deal with it as it comes. Keep watching her spreadsheet. Your advice is ALWAYS welcome.

10. Blamethecats and Hannah

And many, many thanks to everyone who offered advice on our trying to find another menu option for our picky, little eater. Got to Walmart, looked at what they had to offer, got very confused, and ended up just getting another week's supply of the usual FF. The kitty food aisle was absolutely a mad house. There must have been at least 10 people trying to make a decision and find something their cat would like. Guess everyone's fur baby is looking for a new menu option. dancing_cat

11. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

[quote
    ]8% - Friskies flaked with tuna and egg 415
    9% - Friskies Poultry platter – 438
    5% - Friskies Special diet Beef and Liver entree 241
    5% - Friskies Special diet Turkey and Giblets dinner pate 189
    5% - Friskies Special diet Beef and Chicken Entree pate 242
    4% - Friskies Special Diet Whitefish dinner 351
    7% - Friskies Special Diet with Salmon 228
    7% - Friskies Salmon dinner classic pate 499
    8% - Friskies Turkey and Giblets dinner 338
    8% - Friskies Supreme Supper 416
    6% - Friskies Mariner's Catch 393
    [/quote]

heres a list you can print and carry....
    shortcut list

12. Skunky's Mom

Skunky's Mom Member

I've found that the best place to go is PetSmart, if you have one around. The prices were about the same, maybe 5 cents a can different than Kroger, and I can't remember how much at WalMart, but they had EVERY variety I was looking for.

The special diets are really low in carbs, 4 and 5%. They are pretty low in phosphorous. And most of them are also really low in flavor! My fatty loves the Ocean Whitefish, but she turns her nose up at the others. I now have like 6 cans of the special diet beef and chicken and i put it on her plate and she looks at me. She may lick the juice off. I don't mind, since she needs to lose weight, but when her numbers start dropping I have to break out something she will actually it.

I think we will go back to the SD turkey and giblets. I try to stay off the fish b/c I read it's bad. 9Lives has several really low carb varieties but I find some of their ingredients to be a bit questionable.

Here's the big fat list of everything you would ever want to know. Except salt. I wish they listed the amount of salt. I think it's INSANE that they put salt in cat food :-(

http://www.felinediabetes.com/DrLynneFoodList.pdf

And now I see Rhiannon already posted the shortcut list. Oops, I missed that!

13. Blamethecats and Hannah

Thanks for the wonderful info and the informative, complete list! That will be a big help. Might be heading to PetSmart, tomorrow. Again, thanks for all the follow-ups on this post. I also don't know why they would need to add salt to kitty food. Probably for the same reason they add it to people food -- FLAVOR. It also may help as a preservative?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.