Which Glucose meter is best for my Kitty

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Demc964k, Feb 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Demc964k

Demc964k New Member

Help. Which meter is best to purchase for the kitty?????

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

If you're in the US, many people here use a Walmart ReliOn type. There are several models. It's best to buy one that has test strips that work with a very tiny drop of blood. The pharmacist there can advise you.

3. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

The three factors are cost of strips (more important than cost of the meter itself, trust me!), size of blood drop (smaller is better), and then perhaps availability of strips (nice to be able to run out in an emergency to get more at all hours). Many US members use the Relion Micro or Relion Confirm, as mentioned by Kris. If you don't have a Walmart near you (making that brand not-so-convenient), then check out the store brand meters in your local pharmacy, compare strip costs and blood droplet needed, decide what might work for you. Human meters are all going to be roughly equivalent in terms of accuracy. If you find a meter you really like but strips seem expensive, also check out online prices-- they can often be much better, you just have to have a "squirrel" mentality to make sure you always have a good stockpile available.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I chose the AlphaTrac pet meter for myself because I liked that I had the same meter and readings as my vet. It is easy to use, takes a super small blood sample, and was accurate. No lie though, the strips are expensive at about a dollar each. Times that by 5 x a day x 7 x4= $140-$150 per month. I decided that since she wasn't going to the vet for curves each month that would cost about the same, I would call it a wash and pay the money.
    HOWEVER, if the cost was an issue I would have went with a human meter with a very small blood sample needed such as the Relion Micro. keep in mind with the human meters they run lower than pet meters... with more of a difference in the higher ranges, and less of a difference in the lower ranges. So it will still tell you if your cat is high or too low, but may be quite a different number from the one at your vet.

5. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

I started with the AlphaTrak 2 for the same reason as Janet but even with using the alternative test strips for AT2 cost is an issue so I just bought a ReliOn Confirm from Walmart today. :cat: Will use the AT2 for curves when the Vet asks for one. ReliOn seemed to take same amount of blood as AlphaTrak 2. But like Nan said, the test strips costs are what adds up.

6. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

Yeah, I would looooooove an AlphaTrak! I am all about data, so having feline-specific accuracy-- ah! But there's just no way I could have swung the costs-- the first couple months, I was already drowning with the eight million different food varieties I was going through trying to find something diabetic-friendly that my cat would eat. Yikes!

7. Lois and Java

Lois and Java Member

The Henry Schein medical, dental, and veterinary supply company has a meter for either cats or dogs ( you set that). It's slightly less than the alphatrak, ~$47 for 50 strips vs. ~$52 for the AT.
    I have both. Both can be set for cats on the meter. The AT can be set for dogs, cats, or small animals like hamsters, guinea pigs, ferrets, I think that's why vets use it. HS is either dog or cat only. Both use tiny amounts blood. AT has 2 blood ports, you can try twice per strip to get enough blood, HS only has one. AT memory counts down (most recent reading at the bottom of the memory scroll) HS counts up (most recent reading on top of memory). Both have cheap made in China cases, but the HS fits nicely into its case, ATs fits awkwardly (an annoying detail!)) HS reads about 50 pts lower than AT in completely unscientific comparison. Both are pet specific. FYI.

8. Smokey'sMomma

Smokey'sMomma New Member

Vet says she prefers for to use meter for pets. I know all about the cost of strips since I am also diabetic. But I have insurance to help with mine. How many brands are there for pets?

9. JanetNJ

There's a handful. Everpaw, pettest,,.. But the one that's the standard and most used is the Alphatrak 2. Most likely that's the one your vet uses.

10. Smokey'sMomma

Smokey'sMomma New Member

Thank you Janet. Biggest concern is the cost. I am unemployed, so we are living on hubby's disability checks.

11. FranklinsMom

FranklinsMom Member

A lot of people here use a Relion from Walmart. If you decide to go with the Alphatrak2, you can sometimes buy strips off Ebay. And you can research Freestyle Lite strips in this forum--a lot of people use these strips with the Alphatrak2 and you can also get these off Ebay cheaper than elsewhere online. I believe the Freestyle Lite strips are made by the same company for their human meters. So I guess they are pretty close. A lot of people start out with an Alphatrak2 because the vet recommends it and then move to a Relion for the regular daily readings because of the cost of the strips. When they have to do a curve, then they use the Alphatrak2. I am still new around here but I imagine the important thing is picking one and then gathering the data. You will be able to tell if your kitty is going up and down. Others can correct me if I am wrong about that.

Smokey'sMomma likes this.
  12. JanetNJ

Then human meter is the way to go.

Go to Walmart and get

1. Relion micro or confirm meter (not Prime as it takes too large of a sample) $17
    2. Box of 100 28 gauge lancets $5
    3. Extra test strips $36 for 100
    4. Cotton cosmetic rounds $3
    5. Neosporin ointment with pain relief $4

FranklinsMom and Smokey'sMomma like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.