Which glucose meter to get?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by jorda1re, Aug 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jorda1re

jorda1re Member

Hello!
    Can anyone recommend which glucose meter we should get for home testing Spider? We've been shopping on Amazon and have found several (we were looking at the Bayer Contour today, which a friend uses to test her own sugar), but we are overwhelmed by the choices. I am nervous about getting a ton of strips and supplies when I'm not sure Spider will even tolerate home testing.

Thanks so much!
    Becky

2. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

If you're in the US, I recommend the Walmart ReliOn brand, which is the same as the Arkray Glucocard (available online through the ADW link at the top of each page). If you're in Canada, I know that many of the Canadians here use the Contour, so that's also a good choice.

3. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Arkray USA Glucocard 01 or 01 Mini are identical to WalMart ReliOn Confirm and Confirm Micro and are available from our shopping partner ADW (link at top of page). They use the smallest blood drop and test strips are 2nd least expensive.

Walmart ReliOn Prime are less expensive, require slightly bigger blood drop, and are not available at our shopping partner ADW.

4. jorda1re

jorda1re Member

Great, I just checked out the GlucoCard 01 and 01 Mini on the ADW site. Is there a big difference between the two of these meters? I can't really tell from the descriptions, other than the size. I see that they use the same strips. Can we get by with just using the mini for all tests?

Thanks so much for your descriptions, btw. Everyone is so friendly on here!

5. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

You should be able to use a mini if you want. I believe the only difference is the size of the meter, which means the screen size is smaller too.

I use the Bayer Contour and it's simple, easy to use.

6. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

If you have any problems with your grip, pop over to a pharmacy and ask to actually hold the meters you are considering.

I have some arthritis in my hands, yet have found holding a mini-style glucometer fine (It was a 1 touch ultra, for Dusty) I have a ReliOn Confirm at home that I used for Spitzer, as well as the Arkray Glucocard 01 from ADW which came with a bulk order of test strips to cut the cost and provide a backup meter (a good idea!!!)

7. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Would you be willing to add a location to your user control panel, so we have a general idea of where you live? Country, state/province, city/metro area would be nice to see. Still not sure where you live and what meters and food to suggest to you. We have members around the world. So it helps to know where you are and in case of emergency, time zone differences can matter in who can stick around to help you out.

user control panel, profile tab, edit profile from left hand menu, location field.

8. jorda1re

jorda1re Member

DH and I decided to go with the Arkray GlucoCard 01. We ordered a kit today from the ADW website. Hopefully next week when we have a day off together, we'll be able to give hometesting a try. We've been trying to touch Spider's ears a little more the last few days and he doesn't seem to be upset by it, so I'm hopeful we'll be able to get some blood. He has a glucose curve scheduled for next Friday. I'm curious to test him before he goes to see how much he increases due to stress.

Next step is to get a spreadsheet set up. Where can I find information on this?

9. jorda1re

jorda1re Member

Great, I got my spreadsheet set up for when we start home testing. I will link it to my signature once we get going. However, I am confused- I have no idea how to fill it in! Are there instructions for that as well? Did I miss them?

This is quite overwhelming! But I am happy for the support from everyone here!

10. Deb & Wink

Each row is for one date. You need to manually type in the date.
    AMPS = morning pre-shot BG test number
    PMPS = evening pre-shot BG test number
    U = number of units of insulin
    +1 = BG reading 1 hour after shot
    +2 = BG reading 2 hours after shot
    +x = BG reading x hours after shot (we live in all different time zones, so this levels the playing field)

Remarks - notes on food fed, how kitty is doing, ketone tests, other test results, etc.

11. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

AMPS - morning pre-shot test
    PMPS - eveing pre-shot test
    Units (turqoise columns) - units of insulin given
    +1 - if done, test 1 hour after shot
    +2 - if done, test 2 hours after shot
    +11 - if done, test 11 hours after shot
    Etc.
    We have members around the world, so referencing tests as how long after the shot let's everyone understand the numbers quickly

12. Hillary & Maui (GA)

I don't think there are written instructions, but this should help:

amps and pmps are the morning, night pre shot bg numbers
    you put the amount shot (units) in the U section
    the +1 through +11 are the hours past amps or pmps - think of it like a clock - that amps/pmps are your shot times - we talk in this way since we are in different time zones and telling me that you shot or tested at 11 am - maybe different for me than you - telling me that you tested at +3 indicates that 3 hours after giving the shot you tested and the bg is x number.

when you put the bg test in - it will automatically color code (based on the code range at the top of the spreadshet) again another way to lingo talk and make it easier

so for example if at +3 you got a 300 - then he is in the yellow range and we all know that yellow is 300-399 - of course we want to know the number in the range, high, low, middle cause it helps us to know if he is staying flat, bouncing, dropping, rising etc.

the last column is for you to add any notes you want and think is important

does this make sense now?

13. Hillary & Maui (GA)

oh and you will see that we sometimes talk in colors - like he is in the blue lagoon, or surfing that green, or is a nasty yellow or on the top floor which can be red, pink, black......

14. jorda1re

jorda1re Member

Yea! Thanks so much for everyone's replies! It makes SOOO much more sense now! I'm still nervous about home testing, but now that we've ordered the glucose meter kit, I am ready to give it a shot. I am hoping Spider goes into remission again, because this time I'm armed with so much more information so I can hopefully monitor him and manage his BG with diet instead of insulin.

15. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

And once you start testing:

Here are some glucose reference ranges used for decision making using glucometers. Human glucometer numbers are given first. Numbers in parentheses are for non-US meters. Numbers in curly braces are estimates for an AlphaTrak.

< 40 mg/dL (2.2 mmol/L) {< 70 mg/dL for an AlphaTrak}
    - Treat as if HYPO if on insulin
    - At nadir (lowest point between shots) in a long term diabetic (more than a year), may earn a reduction.

< 50 mg/dL (2.8 mmol/L) {< 80 mg/dL for an AlphaTrak}
    - If before nadir, steer with food, ie, give modest amounts of medium carb food to keep from going below 50 (2.8).
    - At nadir, often indicates dose reduction is earned.

50 - 130 mg/dL (2.8 - 7.2 mmol/L) {80 - 160 mg/dL for an AlphaTrak}
    - On insulin - great control when following a tight regulation protocol.
    - Off insulin - normal numbers.
    (May even go as low as the upper 30s (1.7 mmol/L){60s for an AlphaTrak}; if not on insulin, this can be safe.

> 150 mg/dL (8.3 mmol/L) {> 180 mg/dL for an AlphaTrak}
    - At nadir, indicates a dose increase may be needed when following a tight regulation protocol.

200 mg/dL (11.1 mmol/L) {230 mg/dL for an AlphaTrak}
    - no shot level for beginners; may slowly reduce to 150 mg/dL (8.3 mmol/L) {180 mg/dL} for long-acting insulins (Lantus, Levemir, and ProZinc) as data collection shows it is safe

180 - 280 mg/dL (10 - 15.6 mmol/L) {may be 210 - 310 mg/dL for an AlphaTrak}- Any time - The renal threshold (depending on data source and cat's renal function) where glucose spills into the urine.
    - Test for ketones, glucose is too high.

>= 280 mg/dL (15.6 mmol/L) {may be >=310 mg/dL for an AlphaTrak}, if for most of the cycle between shots
    - Uncontrolled diabetes and thus at risk for diabetic ketoacidosis and hepatic lipidosis
    - Follow your insulin protocol for dose adjustments
    - Test for ketones; if more than a trace level of ketones, go to vet ASAP.

16. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Wendy&Tiggy(GA) Well-Known Member

Cool! let u know when the kit comes in. We usually recommend 4 tests a day

- ALWAYS before every shot since you dont want to shoot when too low - for newbies this number is usually 200 but is dropped as you get data over time.
    - Mid cycle - 5-7 hours after morning shot if/when your schedule allows ... since this is the lowest point in many cats and is what you base dose changes on
    - before bed -2-3 hours after PM shot.. to see what his nighttime plans are. If this number is lower than your PM shot test then it can imply an active cycle and you might want to set the alarm for a later test

Wendy

17. Deb & Wink

And if you are working or have other life responsibilities, we can suggest other test times to work into your schedule in place of those mid-day cycles. Most people that work can only do the mid-cycle tests on weekends. We'll help you with a testing plan if you need it.

18. jorda1re

jorda1re Member

Midday testing will be hard because I'm working. My husband works midnights so he's sleeping during the day. He works 12 hour shifts so sleep is usually short for him as it is, and I'm not sure I want him getting up to test. I will be able to test in the late afternoon because I'm a teacher and typically get home around 4 pm, but that's still 9 hours after his morning shot. So, we may need to figure out alternate test times.

19. Deb & Wink

As an example of other test times, if there is some time between when you give the shot and when you leave for work, then test. Or maybe there is some time between when you shoot and the time your husband gets home from work? Just a couple of ideas. We don't want to interrupt your husbands precious sleep either.

20. jorda1re

jorda1re Member

I am sure we will work something out as we have with giving the insulin. I estimate he's been on insulin for 5-6 months, and in all that time I think we've only had to miss shooting 4 times because of other obligations. I was out of town and my husband was at a wedding for a co-worker and he actually left to come home and give insulin and feed Spider, then went back. People gave him grief, but, that's what we do for our sugar baby.

And thanks for understanding about the sleep. If you know anyone who works midnights, you know sleeping during the day is difficult enough, especially when you work 12s back to back and basically come home, sleep, eat and go back to work. I sure wish the neighbors would honor our requests to mow their lawns in the late afternoons, but alas, they do not! :? Luckily for us, I am a teacher and have been off during this transition back to Lantus and can deliver and pick up for the glucose curves. It won't be so easy very soon when I go back to work, but I know that we will work it out, just like we did in the winter/spring!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.