which glucose meter uk?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by SweetAngel, Nov 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SweetAngel

SweetAngel Member

hi, I have a free alphatrak from the clinical trial Angel was on. I used to get free test strips. I've just seen the price of them, aaaargh, I can get an accu chek aviva AND 50 strips for the price of 50 alphatrak strips. But I want the best and most accurate meter for Angel, what does everyone recommend?

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Some of us use Freestyle Lite strips in our AlphaTrak meters. We leave the AT meter set at whatever was the last cat code number we used. These strips are identical to the AlphaTrak strips with the exception that they aren't batch tested to ensure they'll give a correct cat or dog reading in an AT meter like the much more expensive AT strips are. That's why the AT strips are so $$. If you have a vial of AT strips on hand, you can do a few test comparisons on the same drop of blood to see how far off the readings are. In my experience of putting Freestyle Lit strips in my AT meter, the BG number from the FS strip is always a bit higher, in the range of 7% higher. This could vary with a new vial of FS strips, hence the need for comparison testing.

3. SweetAngel

SweetAngel Member

thanks Kris. I found some alphatak £40 for 50 which is cheaper than normal, I've also ordered some freestyle so I can compare the 2.

4. Sootyca

Sootyca Member

Have you asked your vet how much they are through them? I was pleasantly surprised as just bought them from the vet (insurance will then pay) and it was £34.61 for 50. this was much less than I was expecting.

5. SweetAngel

SweetAngel Member

£60 through vet!! I won the fs strips on ebay £14 for 50 including postage. Unfortunately I cant get insurance to pay anything as I had my cats insured after Angel's diagnosis.

Sky is so cute. How's she doing, really hope she is in remission

6. Sootyca

Sootyca Member

Sky is doing really well thanks - she had a fructose test which showed she is well controlled. I'm lucky that insurance is covering everything so far :) Renewal has just come up and her cost has only increased by £20 a month - with the equipment alone I will get back more than I pay in. I can't believe how expensive it is. First time I have ever had to do anything like this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.