Which needles?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by ChEMom, Apr 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChEMom

ChEMom Member

I ordered the wrong kind of needles. I read somewhere on here that I needed the U100 (will be using Lantus) 3/10 cc needles. So that's what I got, but they hold up to 30 units, so they do not have markings for 0.25 units. Please tell me the correct needles.

Thank you.

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

No syringes have 1/4 unit markings. Some 30 unit/3/10 CC syringes have 1/2 unit markings.

3. Liz&Gus

Liz&Gus Member

If you need to get to dose 1/4 units, you can do this two ways:

1. Eyeball the amount. Look closely at the syringe and ensure that the plunger is halfway between the 1/2 unit marked lines.
    2. Fill the syringe to 1 unit with water. Slowly depress the plunger and count the number of drops of water that come out of the needle. For example, say that 4 drops come out of the needle for the 1 unit. That means that a 1/2 unit is 2 drops and a 1/4 unit is 1 drop. So if normally you need to give 0.75 units of insulin to your cat, you would fill your syringe to 1 unit and then push out 1 drop before injecting the remaining insulin into your cat.

I hope this helps!

Liz

4. RobinCot

RobinCot Well-Known Member

Yep - Larry is right. The syringes we look for have half unit markings so for quarter shots we put the stopper between the half and the whole. If you are shooting .25 then the stopper would fill the clear area between the .50 and 0. Does that make sense? I have never seen a syringe with quarter markings.

5. ChEMom

ChEMom Member

Sorry, I misread on the markings. Which ones have the half unit markings on them?

6. ChEMom

ChEMom Member

7. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

8. ChEMom

ChEMom Member

Thank you. Do I need a prescription to get them from Walmart?

9. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

It depends on your state. Call and ask the pharmacy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.