Which Syringes for Change?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Sarah and Baby, Sep 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sarah and Baby

Sarah and Baby Member

Hi everyone! Sorry I haven't been around lately! Everyone take a peek at my spreadsheet.
    I'll interpret it a bit for you...
    if I write the dose like .5/.5, that means I did a split shot, one at +12 and one at +14.
    if i give the dose as 1.00, that means that I rolled back the dose. Mostly I did it at +11.5 although a couple times i did it at +11.
    if i give the dose as 1.25, that means that i gave the dose at +12.

I have been doing a lot of shuffling around for my schedule, and all thanks to Vicky :D

Now, my numbers are looking much better (I'm doing a curve today, will be more numbers later on.) but I am thinking she needs a bit of an up in her dose. When I went to 1.5u, she had a hypo, so i put her back down to 1.25u. I am thinking she needs just a little bit more than that, maybe 1.35u or so.

The problem is, I need a syringe that will allow me to measure that kind of dose. Does anyone know of a syringe that will allow me to do that? I would appreciate any help at all! Thank you all for your support, opinions, and assistance!!

2. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Spreadsheet - you can put a comment in any cell by either clicking on the 'Insert' menu/Comment or left-click and choose 'Insert Comment' from the quick menu. It'll leave a hover note.....sure makes it easier to keep track of other things too. You'll see them as little orange triangles in upper right corner of some of the cells on KT's spreadsheet - link below signature...

I'm interested in the syringe answer too. I use the 30's by Relion that at least have the half marks.

3. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

This one I can answer for both of you...1/2 unit marks are the smallest you are going to get on syringes after that you have to get creative and use the drop method. First take an old syringe, fill it with water to either the 1/2 u or 1u mark...then twist like screwing in a light bulb, & gently push up until you get a drop to form, flick that drop off, and repeat until you can get either 5 drops out of a 1/2u or 10 drops out of a full unit.

Sheila has some lovely pictures around here to show how to do that, if I can find them I'll post the link, they helped me immensely while trying to figure out Musette's dose.

Mel, Maxwell, Musette & The Fur Gang

4. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

5. Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin

Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin Well-Known Member

Then there's also my micrometer "contraption." It allows me to do doses down to about .15U. I use a 1U=1mm scale, but that's because that's how far apart the 1U marks are on my syringes. Other syringes will vary, but you just measure between the 1U and 2U lines to find what measurement = 1U.

Check out my pictures Here: http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y161/FindingNeo/Micrometer instructions/

6. KSAkitties

KSAkitties Member

Vicky,

This is a great idea! Where did you get the micrometer contraption?

7. Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin

Oh, oops, I meant to put that. There are plenty on Ebay, probably around $20 including shipping. I don't know what kind of store might have it, it's a specialized tool. I only know about it because my dad was a machinist. I used to play with his when I was little! And it has to look like mine or it would be hard to use. There are some which look like C clamps, you don't want that. You need the sharp jaw points like this one has.

8. Sarah and Baby

Sarah and Baby Member

9. Sarah and Baby

Sarah and Baby Member

also, looking at my spreadsheet, what do you think about changing my dose?

10. Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin

11. Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin

They are pretty good, considering the dose and schedule changes you have to make! The curve is good with a nadir right where it should be +8. BTW, the dates are a little messed up. There are 2 Sept 5ths and today is labelled as the 10th, it skips the 9th.

It's up to you if you want to increase to 1.5U. How long would it be before you could get a curve on it like you did yesterday? Ideally you should be 3 to 5 days on a new dose before doing a curve, to give the new dose time to work properly. If you can do spot checks every once in a while mid cycle before that, it would be good.

Your other option may be to wait until you get the micrometer, if you want to try that, so you could do smaller dose increases. 1.4U might be the next best step up rather than 1.5U, since 1.5U brought her down a little too much before. But you won't know if she would have a repeat on 1.5U unless you try it.

With all your changes, Baby is doing very well! I'm very glad to see this :D flip_cat

12. Sarah and Baby

Sarah and Baby Member

I would be able to do a curve on tuesday, wednesday, or thursday next week. I think possibly the reason she bottomed out was she wasn't eating like she should. now she's eating so possibly it would be ok to put it back up to 1.5u. I am going to be working a double on monday, from 7am-11pm, so do you think i should wait until after that?

13. Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin

Yeah, that's probably a good idea to wait. Glad she's eating better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.