Which syrup is better for hypo toolbox

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by jan and Hep and sara (GA), Jan 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jan and Hep and sara (GA)

jan and Hep and sara (GA) Well-Known Member

Corn syrup [Karo], maple syrup, or honey? Is one better than the other to have on hand?

Thanks,

jan and sara

2. Victoria & Sundance

Victoria & Sundance Member

It's all liquid sugar really. Most people have karo on hand. I never did because I always have liquid honey in the house made by a friend. So on the one or two occasions I needed a syrup, I rubbed the honey on Sundance's gums. If I had another diabetic, I'd likely have some karo in the tool kit though.

3. jan and Hep and sara (GA)

Re: Thanks Vic!

4. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

It doesn't really matter, the idea is that if you need to use it, you want a liquid sugar product that you can easily rub on the cat's gums.

You can even take table sugar and melt with water if you had to.

For my toolkit, I did buy karo (the clear version), but then realized that I had honey in my cabinet. Luckily, I never needed to use it for Maui, so I just used the honey in my tea and returned the karo to the store... :)

Seriously though, if you are looking to put a kit together and keep it separate, you may either want to by a small bottle of karo or if you have honey or something in your house, put that in a small container (label it) and put that in your kit.

I do recommend that whatever you choose to use, you keep it in the kit, this way if you ever have to use your kit, you don't have to think about what you have and where it is located.

I also printed the instructions and put that in the kit, along with the name, phone and directions to the vet offices (regular and emergency).

5. HollyandSpader(GA)

HollyandSpader(GA) Well-Known Member

I had Karo in my kit. I never had to use it though.
    I fastened the needless syringe to the bottle with a rubberband so I wouldn't have to go rooting around for it if I needed to bust out the Karo.
    That part was my dad's idea. :)

6. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

That's a great idea. I just had mine in laying in the kit.

I love when we share ideas like this. Something so simple that you go, wow, why didn't I think of that.... :cool:

7. Michele and Peeps

Michele and Peeps Member

I have a bottle of Karo in the house. I know it won't get used on other projects, so it will always be available. The syringe was just sitting next to the bottle, which made it greatly easy the time I did have to administer karo for a hypo episode.

8. jan and Hep and sara (GA)

Thanks guys,

Those are all great idea's! Putting the instructions for a hypo and the vets # is good also for the pet sitter. At least you would'nt be saying well in this cabinet......... those seconds COUNT.

jan and sara

9. Gia and Quirk

Gia and Quirk Member

The sugar product I prefer is the tubes of icing sugar, the ones with a narrow tip usually used for writing on a cake or cookies. I like this because the end is narrow enough to insert partway into the rectum if the cat is siezing or comatose. It's also soft and easy to insert in the cheek. These usually come in packs of four different colors so if more than one tube is needed, it's there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.