whiskas food

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by melanie&jersey, Jan 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. melanie&jersey

melanie&jersey New Member

Hey I have read janet and binkeys food chart but I had a question on whiskas food. The one my cat will eat has dried yams in it( the rotisserie chicken one) will this hurt him? Does anyone know how many carbs it has?
    Thanks Melanie&Jersey

2. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

I haven't used Whiskas, so I really don't know. Does this "flavor" have a name? Is it canned or pouch formula? Did you check both food charts - old and new?

Where are the yams on the ingredient list? Yams are a carb and could cause the BG's to rise, however, depending on where it's at on the ingredient list, it may not be a lot of product in there.

I'd suggest that you test him about 30 and 60 minutes after he eats to see what kind of effect it has on him.

3. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

Hi Melanie-not sure which Whiskas your referring to.
    The best one is Whiskas Mmm-just over 1% carbs.
    One thing you could do is to check what the carb content of the food is.

Just to add-can't see where your based, but we used Felix as good as it looks-just over 3% and Lucky had excellent numbers.
    Recommended is under 10%, personally I'd go for 5% or under as this is the ~% carbs in naturalsource of food(mice) :thumbup

4. melanie&jersey

Thanks guys...mice would be the best :YMHUG: I am using the wiskas one in a plastic square container and the yams are on the 3rd line. I checked both old and new on the food chart. The only reason I want to find out about this one is that I have a VERY picky cat! I have tried all of the canned food on the market and made home made food for several months until one day he didn't want it anymore and got sick everytime he ate it. He then started to like FF beef and then stopped after about a week and refused to eat any kind I put down even if I heated it up 1st and put a sprinkle of cheese on top. I found the wiskas one and heated it up and he loves it...for now...but I will try checking his BG before he eats it and after to see if it goes up. I will let ya know how it goes.

5. melanie&jersey

Re: update whiskas food

Ok I tested Jerseys BG level prior to whiskas and an hour and a half later and it only went up 5points..Yay :RAHCAT So I hope it will stay this way so my little cow will continue to eat.

Thanks again

6. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

Despite the yams sounds like it can't be too high in carbs if he's keeping his bg stable. Could also be that his Pancreas is doing some work.
    Good idea to build up your data so every now and then get +2's. Also good if your going down the dosing scale and are due to be away from shot to nadir or + time (gives an idea which way his numbers are headed)

Little cow? Mmmm Lil tinker puddy sounds nicer bcatrun_gif
    Good luck

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.