Whiskas Pouch Question Carb?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jenn & Sprats, Feb 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jenn & Sprats

Jenn & Sprats Member

Does anyone know about the "Purrfectly" Chicken and Fish pouches of Whiskas food? The guy at Petsmart, after going in to my story about sugar kitty, said these were in just the chicken and fish juice and were good for diabetic cats. Is that right? Sprats has been having some high numbers lately, and he is off the dry food.

2. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

Personally, I don't trust the "advice" big chain pet store employees give out. They mean well but oftentimes the advice is just wrong.

Most of the Whiskas Purrfectly pouch foods aren't suitable. Some contain wheat flour which isn't good for a diabetic. Others are in gravy which means carbs. Some contain wheat gluten which can be an allergen. http://www.whiskas.com/meal_time/purrfe ... _food.aspx

I'd stick to the foods that are on the food charts :smile:

3. Jenn & Sprats

Jenn & Sprats Member

Thanks, I will switch!!

4. Gina & Yittle (GA)

Gina & Yittle (GA) Member

I think the answer is more of an "it depends..."

Some of them do have those nasty ingredients, but a few of them don't. You'll want to read the ingredients yourself to check but I remember buying some for Yittle that didn't have any wheat etc and his numbers didn't indicate they were higher carb (was during his diet-controlled remission days).

The flavors I've got on my list as being ok were - Purrfectly Tuna Entree, Purrfectly FIsh Oceanfish Entree, Purrfectly Fish with Shrimp Entree, Purrfectly Fish with Salmon (wheat gluten, no wheat flour), Purrfectly Fish with Snapper. But of course you will need to read the current labels to confirm the absence of any wheat flour, starches, or other carbs.

Yittle's numbers indicated all of their pate flavors in the little tubs were middle-ranged carbs (5-7ish)

Although if you're looking for something with a bit of "gravy" to tempt a cat thats off their moist food you can try the Fancy Feast Appetizers - which are not suitable for regular feeding but are for "treats" only. You'll want to read the current labels to confirm but I remember them as being just fish (or meat), water and some gums. Our cats in particular loved the Seabass with Shrimp and both of the Tuna's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.