Whiskas pouches revisited

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by kitcat, Jan 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kitcat

kitcat Member

Okay, here's all I could get out of David on the help line: the tuna/fish pouches have 70-75 calories for 85grams. The dry matter basis information request seemed to be sailing well above his head so I let that go and got this. Can anyone use it to tell me what the analysis is similar to the Janet & Binky info?

ON A PER 100GRAM BASIS:
    Moisture 84.6
    Fiber 0.10
    Ash 2.7
    Calcium 0.45
    Phosphorous 0.39
    Fat 2.76
    Protein 9.10
    Carbs - residual per David at Whiskas (NOTE: if you do the math, we're already over 100...do any of the measurements seem "off" by a missing zero - for example in the 0.xx amounts?) I don't think I'll have much success calling again but if anyone has specific experience and advice, I'll be glad to hear it and try again.

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

In 100 grams:
    84.60 grams Moisture
    0.10 grams Fiber
    2.70 grams Ash
    0.45 grams Calcium
    0.39 grams Phosphorous
    2.76 grams Fat
    9.10 grams Protein
    100.00 grams

Calories per gram:
    3.5 for protein
    8.5 for fat
    3.5 for carbohydrate

Calories in 100 grams
    27.7 Fat
    37.6 Protein

Calories from these in 85 grams (85% of 100 gram values)
    22.9 Fat
    50.6 Protein
    73.5 from fat and protein
    75.0 total calories in pouch
    1.5 carbohydrate ?

3. akbahsMum

akbahsMum Member

So in all that, what can be deduced about carb content? (I have a funny feeling this will turn out to have been a stupid question).

4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

possibly 1.5 calories from carbohydrate says it is d*mn low carb to me.

5. kitcat

kitcat Member

Yeah, something didn't seem to be adding up - originally I thought it was odd that the food tables only had a general "Whiskas pouches" but after trying to explain what I was after and getting what appears to be now inaccurate info, I can guess that 1) no one has successfully navigated to anyone at Whiskas and/or 2) no one else's cat will eat Whiskas. :) I'm willing to try again but not sure what I can do differently than last time. Suggestions welcomed!

6. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

There is a calculator in the locked threads at the top of this forum for running the guaranteed analysis numbers (plus calories) through. Its not as accurate as as fed numbers, but it gives you an idea. It does show these numbers to have errors.

We feed Whiska's patte, not the gravied pouches while she is on insulin. It one of the things she will eat when she is getting fussy so I don't worry too much, I know they are low enough, just many not ideally low.

7. akbahsMum

akbahsMum Member

Mine eat whiskas loafstyle and are going well on it. I supplement it with NaturesGift at the moment, waiting to hear back from some other Australian catfood companies. Where are you? Oz?

8. Vyktors Mum

Vyktors Mum Well-Known Member

You could try writing them a letter instead. When you ring you don't know what quality of staff you happen to be speaking to and how much responsibility do they have to take for what they say anyway. I would think that by writing a letter you would have more chance of a more qualified staff member providing the advice and, since they are putting it in writing so can't later deny that they said it, more chance of greater accuracy.

My cat belongs in team 2) - he hates whiskas!

9. akbahsMum

akbahsMum Member

I got a reply from NaturesGift, verifying what VyktorsMum already told me. I already have them on NaturesGift. Still waiting to hear back from FussyCat and just off the top of my head I forget who the other bunch I wrote to..

10. kitcat

kitcat Member

Thanks - I did send a note to the Janet and Binky address but it may have gone to their spam as I've not heard back. Best to all of you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.